Ichiro's First Official Game

  • aladdinsane
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2001
      For those of you who didn't have a chance to watch the Mariners-A's
      game on ESPN or see it via
      one of NHK's satellite stations, it was a great game that saw Seattle
      down 4-1 before some great
      relief pitching and some late inning teamwork saw the M's surmount that
      deficit, with Ichiro right in
      the thick of the comeback and Sasaki saving it. If you're interested,
      here are some links to articles in
      the American press about the game:

      Seattle Times articles with Ichiro's dad on the front page of the paper:

      http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SeattleTimes.woa/wa/

      Click on the picture and it will take you to more articles about the
      game and Ichiro.

      Seattle Post-Intelligencer article:
      http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/vecsey/vecs0311.shtml

      http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/baseball/mari039.shtml

      http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/baseball/ichiro03.shtml

      During the ESPN broadcast, they aired a couple of snippets of the
      NHK announcers commentary
      (one of the announcers was Sachio Kinugasa) and talked about the size of
      the Japanese media
      contingent, showing numerous shots of Japanese reporters typing reports
      on their laptops and some
      of the press releases in Japanese that the Mariners issued.
      The Japanese in the crowd got into the festive spirit of things, as
      a sixtyish Japanese gentleman
      wearing a haori and a gold lame top hat and holding Japanese flags that
      had Ichiro's number on one and Sasaki's on the other paraded around the
      aisles and some Japanese kids braving the 30 degree weather barechested
      with "I CHI RO" scrawled in some kind of paint on them. It looked like a
      lot of
      fun. Since I'm moving to the Olympia area in July, I hope to get down to
      the ballpark at some point.
      Should be fun.

      In other news, the Orix Blue Wave have purchased the contract of
      Cincinnati Reds minor league
      pitcher Ed Yarnell. Also, Tsuyoshi Shinjo is going to start the Mets
      opening game on the bench,
      probably as, iirc, he is 2 for his last 14 spring at bats. But he did
      throw a man out at third the other
      day.

      Gary
      http://home.earthlink.net/~aladdinsane/index.html
      http://www.japanesebaseball.com
    • Michael Westbay
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2001
        aladdinsane-san wrote:

        > Seattle Times articles with Ichiro's dad on the front page of the paper:
        >
        > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SeattleTimes.woa/wa/

        Oh, no! "Chichiro Goes to America." I can see the headlines now!

        --
        Michael Westbay
        Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/