Re: [j-ball] The great Japanese newspaper war

  • aladdinsane
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
      Go to NJStar at:
      http://www.njstar.com

      Cheers,

      Gary
      http://home.earthlink.net/~aladdinsane/index.html
      http://www.japanesebaseball.com

      Henri Roca wrote:

      > Michael and all.
      > Could you direct me to the site where I could download the software for
      > Kanji. I had it but lost it some time ago.
      > There was a gentleman whose son found the site in order to "read" the
      > boxscores from Yahoo Sports-Japan.
      > Now If Don could get the boxscores on the Asahi Evening News online then
      > that wouldn't be needed. And I bet the other papers would follow suit,
      > since most would follow the j-ball league through the boxscores.
      > Many thanks in advance for any help.
      > Also, please note the change in my e-mail.
      > Regards, Henri rocwwm@...
      >
      > -.
    • Michael Westbay
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
        Roca-san wrote:

        > Could you direct me to the site where I could download the software for
        > Kanji. I had it but lost it some time ago.

        Well, which one?

        On FreeBSD, change to the /usr/ports/japanese/netscape-fonts and type
        "make install." That's it.

        For Windows' users, it's a bit harder. You can either search Microsoft's
        site for an hour or so (that's got to be the world's worst site to
        navigate - 90% of search results are marketing papers), or you can go to:

        http://www.lfw.org/shodouka/

        They even have a Yahoo Japan link from their main page. Or you can go
        directly to the baseball main page:

        http://www.lfw.org/shodouka/http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/baseball/

        It's a very nice service for internationally impared browsers.

        If you do have Japanese fonts, but need help translating, this page might
        be useful:

        http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jwb/wwwjdic

        Then, there's the wonderful world of automated translators like:

        http://www.elingo.com/browse/browse.php3

        Just keep in mind that "Oryx" is "Orix" and "Nippon Meats" is "Nippon
        Ham."

        (A big thanks to http://www.slashdot.org for having all of those techies
        who can find gem translators like these and share them with everyone.)

        > Now If Don could get the boxscores on the Asahi Evening News online then
        > that wouldn't be needed.

        Box scores!!! That's what I forgot to mention. Next to, "Where can I
        find more information on my friend/brother/son playing in Japan?" e-mails,
        "Where can I find box scores in English?" has got to be the most frequest
        question I've gotten over the years. How could I have missed that one?

        Perhaps someday I'll get around to designing such a system.

        This is probably some good information to put into my FAQ, when I get
        around to it. (Add this to my every growing "todo" list.)

        --
        Michael Westbay
        Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
          Roca-san,

          If you have Explorer, you just need to go to the Micrsoft Explorer update
          site and get the Japanese Text Display. Make sure you go straight to the
          Explorer update though, as the search engine is indeed as dreadful as
          Westbay-san says (I've never managed to find anything with it). If you want
          to type Japanese in e-mail you'll also need the Japanese IME. However, I
          found some problems with encoding selection using the Explorer Japanese
          display, and often still couldn't read stuff (including the Baystars site,
          which was my main reason for downloading the damn thing in the first place).
          My alternative was to use Unionway's software, of which you can download
          trial versions from their site (I can't remember the address, but something
          like www.unionway.com I think?). It works pretty well. Good luck.

          Ben Matthews

          > > Could you direct me to the site where I could download the software for
          > > Kanji. I had it but lost it some time ago.
          >
          > Well, which one?
          >
          > On FreeBSD, change to the /usr/ports/japanese/netscape-fonts and type
          > "make install." That's it.
          >
          > For Windows' users, it's a bit harder. You can either search Microsoft's
          > site for an hour or so (that's got to be the world's worst site to
          > navigate - 90% of search results are marketing papers), or you can go to:
          >
          > http://www.lfw.org/shodouka/
          >
          > They even have a Yahoo Japan link from their main page. Or you can go
          > directly to the baseball main page:
          >
          > http://www.lfw.org/shodouka/http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/baseball/
          >
          > It's a very nice service for internationally impared browsers.
          >
          > If you do have Japanese fonts, but need help translating, this page might
          > be useful:
          >
          > http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jwb/wwwjdic
          >
          > Then, there's the wonderful world of automated translators like:
          >
          > http://www.elingo.com/browse/browse.php3
          >
          > Just keep in mind that "Oryx" is "Orix" and "Nippon Meats" is "Nippon
          > Ham."
          >
          > (A big thanks to http://www.slashdot.org for having all of those techies
          > who can find gem translators like these and share them with everyone.)
          >
          > > Now If Don could get the boxscores on the Asahi Evening News online then
          > > that wouldn't be needed.
          >
          > Box scores!!! That's what I forgot to mention. Next to, "Where can I
          > find more information on my friend/brother/son playing in Japan?" e-mails,
          > "Where can I find box scores in English?" has got to be the most frequest
          > question I've gotten over the years. How could I have missed that one?
          >
          > Perhaps someday I'll get around to designing such a system.
          >
          > This is probably some good information to put into my FAQ, when I get
          > around to it. (Add this to my every growing "todo" list.)
          >
          > --
          > Michael Westbay
          > Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/
          > Home: http://www.seaple.icc.ne.jp/~westbay
          > Commentary: http://www.japanesebaseball.com/

        • Henri Roca
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
            Thanks, Gary.
            Now if I could obtain the rosters of the 12 clubs with jersey numbers, I
            could make sense of the boxscores.
            Regards, Henri

            > > Could you direct me to the site where I could download the software for
            > > Kanji. I had it but lost it some time ago.
            > > There was a gentleman whose son found the site in order to "read" the
            > > boxscores from Yahoo Sports-Japan.
            > > Now If Don could get the boxscores on the Asahi Evening News online then
            > > that wouldn't be needed. And I bet the other papers would follow suit,
            > > since most would follow the j-ball league through the boxscores.
            > > Many thanks in advance for any help.
            > > Also, please note the change in my e-mail.
            > > Regards, Henri rocwwm@...
            > >
            > > -.

          • Henri Roca
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
              Thanks Michael for all of the info.
              Hope everyone on the list can find something useful. I'll surely go
              through each link.
              Yep, boxscores from Japan would make following j-ball complete.
              I can remember getting a lot of "stuff" from Cpt. Mel Bailey in the 60's
              when he was stationed in Japan and seeing those scorecard/boxes, in the
              Japanese newspaper, that took about the same space as the legends stamps we
              get from the US postal service. They had each play, as in a scorecard,
              noted with one character. It was amazing. Also the first box with
              pitches thrown and batters faced that I can remember.
              Do you still have all of the rosters with numbers somehwere on the net?
              Really enjoy your accounts and news about j-ball.
              Many thanks for the info.
              Regards, Henri

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
                Thanks, Ben. What a list, you guys are great. I've gotten several
                Ben, are you saying that there is software that takes Japanese text on the
                net and translates it into English, much like the software that does
                translation from Spanish to English. (Reading Mexican League accounts
                through translation is great)
                I'll try to find the link you gave and give it a shot.
                Many thanks.
                Regards, Henri-san

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/