The great Japanese newspaper war

  • Dan Latham
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 6:29 PM
      Starting today, I think there will be some very big changes in the Japanese
      newspaper market that should improve the daily coverage of sports.

      The newspaper I work for, the Asahi Evening News, has formally merged with
      the International Herald & Tribune, and the first edition of the new paper
      hit the newsstands earlier this morning.

      The new IHT-Asahi is divided into two sections. The IHT part includes a
      24-30 page section published jointly by The New York Times and The
      Washington Post and will provide comprehensive coverage of international
      news. The Asahi section will include 6-12 pages and focus entirely on Japan
      news.

      Because the IHT will have its own sports section, the Asahi sports pages
      will deal exclusively with Japanese sports, so we're working hard to bulk up
      our coverage of Pacific and Central League baseball as well as our soccer
      and sumo coverage. We also have four or five writers in North America who
      will be providing regular (once or twice a week) stories on Ichiro, Shinjo,
      and other Japanese players in the major leagues.

      Shortly after we announced the merger in January, several things happened.

      The Mainichi Daily News, apparently unable to keep up with the new
      competition, announced they would cease publication. Their last newspaper
      went on the newsstands on Saturday, March 31, but I understand they will
      continue to update their English-language Web site.

      The Daily Yomiuri, which already has a strong sports section, has been
      making some changes in the future and the Japan Times has been working hard
      on their soccer coverage ahead of next year's World Cup.

      The Daily Yomiuri also announced the inclusion of a one-page section that
      includes articles from Sports Illustrated and I understand they will be
      adding a world news section from the Chicago Tribune.

      Likewise, the Japan Times will be introducing several other non-sports
      features. And shortly after we announced that the IHT-Asahi will sell for
      150 yen, the Japan Times dropped their price from 160 to 150 yen -- the
      first time in my seven years in Japan that I can remember any newspaper
      cutting its price. The Japan Times claimed the drop in price was due to
      cost-saving efforts, but we all know the real reason.

      At this point I can't predict which of the three surviving newspapers will
      provide the best sports section. But one thing is clear -- the competition
      is going to force us all to provide better coverage or go the way of the
      Mainichi.

      As for my Web site, JBALL, I've received many messages asking when I would
      continue providing news updates. I'm not sure what the answer to that is.
      I hope that the new IHT-Asahi sports section will provide the same
      information and news that I put on my Web site in the past.

      The current Asahi Web site < http://www.asahi.com/english/english.html > is
      in transition now, but I believe we have a few Shinjo and Ichiro stories
      on-line from our writers in North America. I hope in the near future we
      will be including most of our sports stories on the Web as well as in print.

      Now I have one request. I do not know what the situation is at the other
      two papers, but at the IHT-Asahi, we've been given the freedom to create a
      sports section from scratch. We're all excited because this is going to
      give us an opportunity to try out a lot of new ideas. But I'm also very
      interested to find out what our readers would like to see.

      So if you have any ideas for stories you would like to read -- more coverage
      of foreign players, more high school baseball, more stories on Ichiro, more
      stories on the top Japanese players, or anything else -- please let me know
      either through this mailing list or by sending me a message directly at
      < drlatham@... >.

      Thank you,

      Dan Latham
      Assistant sports editor,
      Asahi Shimbun, International Division
    • Michael Westbay
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1 8:58 PM
        Latham-san wrote:

        > The newspaper I work for, the Asahi Evening News,

        Ah, so that's where you're working. Really, you don't have to be
        imbarrased by it. I was starting to think you got a job at ToSpo, since
        my inquiries into where you landed this upwordly mobile job were all
        passed over. Well, then, congratulations. The Asahi group very
        respectible, and knowing that you've joined them give me that much more to
        continue throwing money their way (albeit for Nikkan Sports).

        > As for my Web site, JBALL, I've received many messages asking when I would
        > continue providing news updates. I'm not sure what the answer to that is.
        > I hope that the new IHT-Asahi sports section will provide the same
        > information and news that I put on my Web site in the past.

        That was the division that I was hoping you were going into. Oh, well.
        Can't win them all. My thought was that with you in charge (or in
        influence) of the Internet section, we'd start to get better coverage from
        the "mainstream" media that has the information and staff to do the job right.

        > The current Asahi Web site < http://www.asahi.com/english/english.html > is
        > in transition now, [...]

        When it becomes stable, drop me a line personally, or to the list. I'll
        be sure to include a link from my front page then. (Even though you won't
        link to my site.)

        > Now I have one request. I do not know what the situation is at the other
        > two papers, but at the IHT-Asahi, we've been given the freedom to create a
        > sports section from scratch. We're all excited because this is going to
        > give us an opportunity to try out a lot of new ideas. But I'm also very
        > interested to find out what our readers would like to see.

        Some things that I find important, but not often found in the English
        press:

        1. Don't have articles continued on separate pages. This is very
        inconvienent while riding a crowded train.

        2. Layout the pages in quarters, since, like millions of other Japanese
        salarymen, I fold my newspaper in half vertically, then horizontally,
        so as to take up less room in the train. Having one section in the
        middle of the fold causes all kinds of trouble for me (and the people
        around me) in the train. Having columns of the same article in
        different vertical halves is fine, as is the text running down (no
        vertical type setting problems in English). But box scores in the
        middle of a divide, or even in a different quarter, get to be quite
        combersome.

        > So if you have any ideas for stories you would like to read

        The thing I want most for my web site, but haven't the budget for, is to
        have Chiba Isao-san's articles from _Shukan_Baseball_ translated - or
        better yet - have original, exclusive articles by Chiba-san. He's the
        main reason I pick up _Shukan_Baseball_ every week.

        Furthermore, if you have any influence over the Internet section, see if
        you can't get them to put some RealPlayer video footage up. People all
        over the world are crying out for video streams of Japanese baseball.
        Surely your ties with Asahi Telebi can pull something off.

        Well, thank for the update on what you're up to. It was very nice to hear
        from you again.

        Hey, when did this become "j-ball@yahoogroups.com"? Is this where all
        that smap from Yahoo started coming from about a month ago? (Not that I
        see anything but a few SMTP headers thanks to my spam filters, but...)

        --
        Michael Westbay
        Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2 6:05 PM
          Michael and all.
          Could you direct me to the site where I could download the software for
          Kanji. I had it but lost it some time ago.
          There was a gentleman whose son found the site in order to "read" the
          boxscores from Yahoo Sports-Japan.
          Now If Don could get the boxscores on the Asahi Evening News online then
          that wouldn't be needed. And I bet the other papers would follow suit,
          since most would follow the j-ball league through the boxscores.
          Many thanks in advance for any help.
          Also, please note the change in my e-mail.
          Regards, Henri rocwwm@...

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > Hey, when did this become "j-ball@yahoogroups.com"? Is this where all
          > that smap from Yahoo started coming from about a month ago? (Not that I
          > see anything but a few SMTP headers thanks to my spam filters, but...)
          >
          > --
          > Michael Westbay
          > Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/
          > Home: http://www.seaple.icc.ne.jp/~westbay
          > Commentary: http://www.japanesebaseball.com/

        • Robert Fitts
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2 6:28 PM
            Posting box scores would be a great idea!
            rob fitts
            RobsJapaneseCards.com

            > Could you direct me to the site where I could download the software for
            > Kanji. I had it but lost it some time ago.
            > There was a gentleman whose son found the site in order to "read" the
            > boxscores from Yahoo Sports-Japan.
            > Now If Don could get the boxscores on the Asahi Evening News online then
            > that wouldn't be needed. And I bet the other papers would follow suit,
            > since most would follow the j-ball league through the boxscores.
            > Many thanks in advance for any help.
            > Also, please note the change in my e-mail.
            > Regards, Henri rocwwm@...

          • aladdinsane
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3 12:51 AM
              Go to NJStar at:
              http://www.njstar.com

              Cheers,

              Gary
              http://home.earthlink.net/~aladdinsane/index.html

              Henri Roca wrote:

              > Michael and all.
              > Could you direct me to the site where I could download the software for
              > Kanji. I had it but lost it some time ago.
              > There was a gentleman whose son found the site in order to "read" the
              > boxscores from Yahoo Sports-Japan.
              > Now If Don could get the boxscores on the Asahi Evening News online then
              > that wouldn't be needed. And I bet the other papers would follow suit,
              > since most would follow the j-ball league through the boxscores.
              > Many thanks in advance for any help.
              > Also, please note the change in my e-mail.
              > Regards, Henri rocwwm@...
              >
              > -.
            • Michael Westbay
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3 5:37 AM
                Roca-san wrote:

                > Could you direct me to the site where I could download the software for
                > Kanji. I had it but lost it some time ago.

                Well, which one?

                On FreeBSD, change to the /usr/ports/japanese/netscape-fonts and type
                "make install." That's it.

                For Windows' users, it's a bit harder. You can either search Microsoft's
                site for an hour or so (that's got to be the world's worst site to
                navigate - 90% of search results are marketing papers), or you can go to:

                http://www.lfw.org/shodouka/

                They even have a Yahoo Japan link from their main page. Or you can go
                directly to the baseball main page:

                http://www.lfw.org/shodouka/http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/baseball/

                It's a very nice service for internationally impared browsers.

                If you do have Japanese fonts, but need help translating, this page might
                be useful:

                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jwb/wwwjdic

                Then, there's the wonderful world of automated translators like:

                http://www.elingo.com/browse/browse.php3

                Just keep in mind that "Oryx" is "Orix" and "Nippon Meats" is "Nippon
                Ham."

                (A big thanks to http://www.slashdot.org for having all of those techies
                who can find gem translators like these and share them with everyone.)

                > Now If Don could get the boxscores on the Asahi Evening News online then
                > that wouldn't be needed.

                Box scores!!! That's what I forgot to mention. Next to, "Where can I
                find more information on my friend/brother/son playing in Japan?" e-mails,
                "Where can I find box scores in English?" has got to be the most frequest
                question I've gotten over the years. How could I have missed that one?

                Perhaps someday I'll get around to designing such a system.

                This is probably some good information to put into my FAQ, when I get
                around to it. (Add this to my every growing "todo" list.)

                --
                Michael Westbay
                Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/
                Home: http://www.seaple.icc.ne.jp/~westbay
                Commentary: http://www.japanesebaseball.com/
              • Miyuki & Ben Matthews
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3 6:28 AM
                  Roca-san,

                  If you have Explorer, you just need to go to the Micrsoft Explorer update
                  site and get the Japanese Text Display. Make sure you go straight to the
                  Explorer update though, as the search engine is indeed as dreadful as
                  Westbay-san says (I've never managed to find anything with it). If you want
                  to type Japanese in e-mail you'll also need the Japanese IME. However, I
                  found some problems with encoding selection using the Explorer Japanese
                  display, and often still couldn't read stuff (including the Baystars site,
                  which was my main reason for downloading the damn thing in the first place).
                  My alternative was to use Unionway's software, of which you can download
                  trial versions from their site (I can't remember the address, but something
                  like www.unionway.com I think?). It works pretty well. Good luck.

                  Ben Matthews

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 3 9:26 AM
                    Thanks, Gary.
                    Now if I could obtain the rosters of the 12 clubs with jersey numbers, I
                    could make sense of the boxscores.
                    Regards, Henri

                    > > Could you direct me to the site where I could download the software for
                    > > Kanji. I had it but lost it some time ago.
                    > > There was a gentleman whose son found the site in order to "read" the
                    > > boxscores from Yahoo Sports-Japan.
                    > > Now If Don could get the boxscores on the Asahi Evening News online then
                    > > that wouldn't be needed. And I bet the other papers would follow suit,
                    > > since most would follow the j-ball league through the boxscores.
                    > > Many thanks in advance for any help.
                    > > Also, please note the change in my e-mail.
                    > > Regards, Henri rocwwm@...
                    > >
                    > > -.

                  • Henri Roca
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 3 9:52 AM
                      Thanks Michael for all of the info.
                      Hope everyone on the list can find something useful. I'll surely go
                      through each link.
                      Yep, boxscores from Japan would make following j-ball complete.
                      I can remember getting a lot of "stuff" from Cpt. Mel Bailey in the 60's
                      when he was stationed in Japan and seeing those scorecard/boxes, in the
                      Japanese newspaper, that took about the same space as the legends stamps we
                      get from the US postal service. They had each play, as in a scorecard,
                      noted with one character. It was amazing. Also the first box with
                      pitches thrown and batters faced that I can remember.
                      Do you still have all of the rosters with numbers somehwere on the net?
                      Really enjoy your accounts and news about j-ball.
                      Many thanks for the info.
                      Regards, Henri

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 3 10:00 AM
                        Thanks, Ben. What a list, you guys are great. I've gotten several
                        Ben, are you saying that there is software that takes Japanese text on the
                        net and translates it into English, much like the software that does
                        translation from Spanish to English. (Reading Mexican League accounts
                        through translation is great)
                        I'll try to find the link you gave and give it a shot.
                        Many thanks.
                        Regards, Henri-san