Japanese Baseball and the Baseball World Cup

  • aladdinsane
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2001
      There are a couple of articles in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer
      y'all may be interested in:

      http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/baseball/rising30.shtml

      http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/baseball/bbworldcup.shtml

      Also, a reminder for those of you in the L.A. market, the Yomiuri
      Giants first two games will be broadcast live on Channel 18 starting at
      2 a.m. tonight and also Sunday
      morning at the same time.

      Gary
      http://home.earthlink.net/~aladdinsane/index.html
      http://www.japanesebaseball.com
    • Craig Peters
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2001
        Cheers All,

        I am a baseball fan and was looking for someone who
        might be able to tape me a few japanese ball games
        through the season. I live in Sydney, Australia so we
        don't get anything out here. I'd be more than happy to
        pay for the costs of a tape and postage, etc.

        If you could email me at the above email address or at
        sunny@... I would be mots appreciative.

        Thanks in advance

        Greg Stock
        Sydney, Australia

      • aladdinsane
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
          Hi Craig!

          I think that one problem you may have in trading with someone is that
          Japan and the U.S. have
          a different video standard than Australia. You are on the PAL standard, iirc,
          and Japan and America
          are on NTSC. Of course, there are vcr's that will play both, so you might
          want to keep this in mind
          before initiating any trades. Good luck.

          Craig Peters wrote:

          > Cheers All,
          >
          > I am a baseball fan and was looking for someone who
          > might be able to tape me a few japanese ball games
          > through the season. I live in Sydney, Australia so we
          > don't get anything out here. I'd be more than happy to
          > pay for the costs of a tape and postage, etc.
          >
          > If you could email me at the above email address or at
          > sunny@... I would be mots appreciative.
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > Greg Stock
          > Sydney, Australia

        • rachel fenby
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
            Craig,

            Yes, as Gary said, Australia is annoyingly and inexplicably on a different
            system to Japan and North America. However,I know of places in Melbourne
            that will take your cassette from these countries and convert so that it can
            be played on an Aussie VCR, so there are surely places in Sydney as well.
            However, it would likely be quite costly; probably about $A20 an hour or so.
            Nevetheless, if you`re that keen to get hold of Japanese baseball tapes,
            there`s always that option.

            I was hoping myself that my dad would be able to send me MLB tapes to Osaka
            from Melbourne, but we were thwarted by this. My ex-boyfriend`s dad in
            Mexico used to record the All Star games for me and hand them over when I
            visited them in Mexico City, in exchange for tapes of the Japan Series. He`s
            quite a Hawks fan!

            Good Luck, Raquel

            >From: Craig Peters <craigpeters2000@...>
            >To: j-ball@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [j-ball] Japanese baseball on tv
            >Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 18:54:34 -0700 (PDT)
            >
            >Cheers All,
            >
            >I am a baseball fan and was looking for someone who
            >might be able to tape me a few japanese ball games
            >through the season. I live in Sydney, Australia so we
            >don't get anything out here. I'd be more than happy to
            >pay for the costs of a tape and postage, etc.
            >
            >If you could email me at the above email address or at
            >sunny@... I would be mots appreciative.
            >
            >Thanks in advance
            >
            >Greg Stock
            >Sydney, Australia

          • Craig Peters
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2001
              Cheers All,

              Thanks for the interest concerning my request for some
              games. I am still yet to make contact with anyone who
              might be able to tape me a few games, so if anyone out
              there can help me............ I'd be more than happy
              to reimburse any costs, etc.

              I have a dual video system where I can play both PAL
              and NTSC tapes. It cost me quite a few dollars a year
              or so ago but it works well. Thanks for the interest

              Greg Stock
              sunny@...

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Michael Westbay
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4, 2001
                Peters-san wrote:

                > Thanks for the interest concerning my request for some
                > games. I am still yet to make contact with anyone who
                > might be able to tape me a few games, so if anyone out
                > there can help me

                Why not just watch them live via RealPlayer? I have a couple of links on
                the right side at:

                http://www.japanesebaseball.com

                and if you're a MicroSerf, I remember seeing a link to one on from:

                http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/baseball/

                I keep hoping that the media companies will get a clue about the Internet.
                Maybe someday.

                --
                Michael Westbay
                Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/