RE: [j-ball] Ichiro article in today's LA Times

  • Joshua A. Reyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2001
      > http://www.latimes.com/sports/updates2/lat_newhan010309.htm

      Good article, but if I read yet another one that tells its reader's to
      pronounce Ichiro as E-she-row, then I'm going to have to do something
      drastic...

      Speaking of players making new-country adjustments, Cruz is looking good for
      Hanshin these days. Is he just having a good spring (if one can call snow
      in March "spring"), or will this carry over well into the season?

      CFiJ
    • W. STEVENS
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2001
        --- "Joshua A. Reyer" <jreyer@...> wrote:

        http://www.latimes.com/sports/updates2/lat_newhan010309.htm

        > <snip>
        >
        > Speaking of players making new-country adjustments,
        > Cruz is looking good for
        > Hanshin these days. Is he just having a good spring
        > (if one can call snow
        > in March "spring"), or will this carry over well
        > into the season?
        >
        > CFiJ

        Ivan Cruz has a great swing and can generate a lot
        of power. In '99 he hit 28 HRs in half a season in
        AAA. The Pirates brought him up and he hit a pinch-HR
        the first week up and when it looked like he was going
        to get some playing time, he was injured. He never
        really got another shot after that. He has always
        displayed good power where ever he has played, the
        minors, in Mexico... he should help the Tigers a lot.
        Basebill

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Steve Yin
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2001
          Cruz was blocked before in both Yankees and Pirates organization,
          pretty similar to Petagine's situation before. From TV it seemed like
          among his HRs to a Seibu's rookie LHP, Lotte's rookie RHP submariner
          Watanabe the swings were both pretty good. He probably will hit 30 or more
          HRs this season, but Ribis may not be too much because of the weak OBPs of
          batters in front of him.

          --Steve Yin