Re: [j-ball] Dragons Bring in Braves' Unroe

  • Jim Allen
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
      At 4:55 PM -0800 00.10.29, aladdinsane wrote:
      > There was a six player trade between the Kintetsu Buffaloes and the
      >Hanshin Tigers today, as
      > the Tigers dispatched veteran (probably washed up) pitcher Toshiro
      >Yufune, who got knocked all
      > over the lot this past season, along with bit players in catcher
      >Hirotoshi Kitagawa and pitcher
      > Kazuharu Yamazaki and in return obtained pitchers Hiroki Sakai and
      >Tetsuji Mende, as well as outfielder
      > Hirashita Koji.

      Yufune is, and always has been wildly inconsistent. His overall numbers
      tend to vary from bad to worse but he goes through streaks where he is as
      good as anyone--as he was this year through May and June when he was very
      tough. I don't have a clue what it is. It could be that his successful
      pitching motion is very hard for him to replicate. I don't know much about
      him other than he has always rang up his fair share of strikeouts. I always
      considered him a fairly comparable pitcher to Sonokawa, who used to toil
      for the Orions and Marines.

      Kitagawa looked like he had a chance to make it as a hitter but he hasn't
      really taken a step forward in about four years. But if he has a future
      anywhere, it will be with the Buffaloes, who under Sasaki kept drafting
      boatloads of catchers and then forcing them into other positions--the same
      thing that the Tigers wanted to do with Kitagawa. Of course the Buffaloes
      gave up on the best of their slugging catchers when they sent Yukio
      Kinugawa to the Swallows. Now Kinugawa, who is a hitter in the same class
      as Takahiro Saeki or Yuji Yoshioka, is stuck behind Petagine.

      Jim
    • Steve Yin
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
        >From: Jim Allen <jallen@...>
        >To: j-ball@egroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [j-ball] Dragons Bring in Braves' Unroe
        >Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 21:38:35 +0900
        >
        >At 4:55 PM -0800 00.10.29, aladdinsane wrote:
        > > There was a six player trade between the Kintetsu Buffaloes and
        >the
        > >Hanshin Tigers today, as
        > > the Tigers dispatched veteran (probably washed up) pitcher Toshiro
        > >Yufune, who got knocked all
        > > over the lot this past season, along with bit players in catcher
        > >Hirotoshi Kitagawa and pitcher
        > > Kazuharu Yamazaki and in return obtained pitchers Hiroki Sakai and
        > >Tetsuji Mende, as well as outfielder
        > > Hirashita Koji.
        >
        >Yufune is, and always has been wildly inconsistent. His overall numbers
        >tend to vary from bad to worse but he goes through streaks where he is as
        >good as anyone--as he was this year through May and June when he was very
        >tough. I don't have a clue what it is. It could be that his successful
        >pitching motion is very hard for him to replicate. I don't know much about
        >him other than he has always rang up his fair share of strikeouts. I always
        >considered him a fairly comparable pitcher to Sonokawa, who used to toil
        >for the Orions and Marines.

        I very much like Allen-san's comments. It's very fair to Yufune-san.
        Coming back from several injuries, you can't expect Yufune to
        please don't just call him a "washup".

        --Steve Yin

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • Steve Yin
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2000
          Allen-san wrote:

          >Kitagawa looked like he had a chance to make it as a hitter but he hasn't
          >really taken a step forward in about four years. But if he has a future
          >anywhere, it will be with the Buffaloes, who under Sasaki kept drafting
          >boatloads of catchers and then forcing them into other positions--the >same
          >thing that the Tigers wanted to do with Kitagawa. Of course the >Buffaloes
          >gave up on the best of their slugging catchers when they sent Yukio
          >Kinugawa to the Swallows. Now Kinugawa, who is a hitter in the same class
          >as Takahiro Saeki or Yuji Yoshioka, is stuck behind Petagine.

          As for drafting catchers and converting to other positions,
          Isobe is a famous case, but that was also becuase he can hit and
          can run(to be good enough OF). In addition to Kinugawa/Isobe, other cases?

          I am still a little suspect that Kinugawa can hit like Saeki or Yoshioka
          if given a full-time job. Petagine still has a wonderful
          2nd year in Japan, so he should be back next year unless some MLB
          club gives him a full-time job. Since Komada is gone, will
          Saeki be the starting 1B for the Baystars next year? Or do they
          have other options inside or to hire a gai-jin?

          Sincerely,

          --Steve Yin

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • John Traub
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
            You can read an interview from the Japan Times at
            http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?sp20001102jg.htm
          • David Foreman
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
              This brings up a nagging question for me-- How do you pronounce Suzuki's
              first name? Is it Itch-EAR-o? Ick-EAR-o? I only read about J-Ball and
              never hear any of the names pronouced. Also, how about the pronounciation
              of the Hawks' home city?

              Thanks
              David Foreman

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
                Ichiro is pronouced:

                ee chee row

                Fukuoka is pronounced:

                foo ku owe ka

                At 9:36 AM -0500 00.11.2, David Foreman wrote:
                > This brings up a nagging question for me-- How do you pronounce Suzuki's
                > first name? Is it Itch-EAR-o? Ick-EAR-o? I only read about J-Ball and
                > never hear any of the names pronouced. Also, how about the pronounciation
                > of the Hawks' home city?
                >
                > Thanks
                > David Foreman
              • Jim Allen
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
                  At 11:22 PM +0000 00.11.1, Steve Yin wrote:
                  > As for drafting catchers and converting to other positions,
                  > Isobe is a famous case, but that was also becuase he can hit and
                  > can run(to be good enough OF). In addition to Kinugawa/Isobe, other cases?

                  There is one other I remember, but now that senility is beginning to
                  manifest itself, I am at a loss to think of the name of the guy who came
                  over from the BlueWave in a trade and was turned into an infielder. He is a
                  good comp for Kitagawa as a minor leaguer who never really got much of a
                  shot at the top level.

                  > I am still a little suspect that Kinugawa can hit like Saeki or
                  >Yoshioka
                  > if given a full-time job. Petagine still has a wonderful
                  > 2nd year in Japan, so he should be back next year unless some MLB
                  > club gives him a full-time job. Since Komada is gone, will
                  > Saeki be the starting 1B for the Baystars next year? Or do they
                  > have other options inside or to hire a gai-jin?

                  I don't know why you should suspect Kinugawa's prospects. As a minor
                  leaguer, his production was better than Yoshioka's and as good as Katsuhiro
                  Hiratsuka, another player of this category (proven minor league hitters who
                  tend to be on the slow side and less than sure with the leather) who
                  languished in the minors until he was 28 or 29. Kinugawa was far and away
                  the best hitter in either minor league in 1998 and 1999. Kinugawa is not as
                  good as the best recent player in this group, Takeshi Yamasaki of the
                  Dragons.

                  Kinugawa would not be a surprise to hit .290 with 25 homers as an everyday
                  player and could do a bit better, but it isn't going to happen unless, like
                  Hiratsuka, a team is so desperate that they have no choice but to play him,
                  or like Yamasaki, he gets so many chances and does so incredibly well that
                  even the dumbest manager can't help but notice.

                  Jim
                • John Traub
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 3, 2000
                    Nomo's option year at 5.5 million dollars was not picked up by the Tigers, hence he is a free agent.
                    AP story at http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-BBA-Tigers-Nomo.html

                    NY Times article on Ichiro bidding dates and process to be found at
                    http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/03/sports/03CHASS.html

                    John Traub
                  • Michael Westbay
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 4, 2000
                      Allen-san wrote:

                      > Ichiro is pronouced:
                      >
                      > ee chee row

                      I thought it was more like:

                      ee chee low

                      I find that the "R" is pronounced somewhere between "R", "L", and "D".

                      --
                      Michael Westbay
                      Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 4, 2000
                        >Allen-san wrote:
                        >
                        >> Ichiro is pronouced:
                        >>
                        >> ee chee row

                        And Michael Westbay followed with:

                        >I thought it was more like:
                        >
                        > ee chee low
                        >
                        >I find that the "R" is pronounced somewhere between "R", "L", and "D".

                        Ah yes, but remember that the first two vowels are short, while the
                        row/low/dow is long.

                        So that makes it more like i-chi-row

                        Michael Owen