Re: [j-ball] Suzuki Ichiro Question

  • Dan Latham
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2000
      > Seeing as how Suzuki Ichiro is leading in the race
      > for the batting title in the Pacific League by 50 points
      > or so, it caused me to wonder what has been the
      > biggest disparity between a league batting champ and
      > his closest competitor in Japanese history?

      I'm just eyeballing it here, so if someone else wants to check this out with
      a calculator, go ahead...

      Pacific League: In 1951, Hiroshi Oshita (Nishitetsu) hit .383 and his
      nearest competitor hit . 315 (a 68-point difference). In 1994, Ichiro
      Suzuki (Orix) hit .385 and Kazu Yamamoto (Daiei) hit .317 (a 68-point
      difference).

      Central League: In 1989, Warren Cromartie (Yomiuri) hit .378 and Jim
      Paciorek (Taiyo) hit .333 (a 45-point difference).

      I don't have the hits and at-bats figures to tell whether Oshita or Suzuki
      had the larger spread.

      Dan Latham
    • aladdinsane
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2000