[j-ball] Nomo and Kida

  • Dave Hogg
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2000
      I'm interested to see how things are going to go this year now that the
      Detroit Tigers have both Masao Kida and Hideo Nomo. Last year, Kida seemed
      really lost all season, and it showed, as he got absolutely pounded
      whenever they tried to use him in high-profile situations.

      Detroit's new manager, Phil Garner, is a big Nomo fan from last year in
      Milwaukee. It will be interesting to see if they can help Kida adjust.

      Dave
    • Michael Westbay
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12, 2000
        Aladdinsane-san wrote:

        > [...] One of the
        > people that Plaschke used to contrast with Nomo was Hasegawa, who, as soon as he
        > landed here, was taking crash courses in English and has reached a pretty good level
        > of fluency in a fairly short time.

        My understanding was that Hasegawa had lived in the U.S. before, either as a college student
        or for several months during off seasons. So even before joining the Angels, he had a pretty
        good command of the English language.

        [Unreference quote of quote snipped.]

        --
        Michael Westbay
        Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13, 2000
          Is Nomo's agent, Don or Dan Nomura, part American? Couls someone explain the relationship?
          I understand Nomura, the manager, has quite a character and quite a character as his current wife?

          Thanks all,
          John
        • Jeffrey Sams
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 13, 2000
            Her first husband(Dan's father) was foreign. American I think, but I am not
            sure.