[j-ball] Unionized Korean Players Released

  • aladdinsane
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2000
      Korean League Expels Unionized
      Players

      By Thomas St. John

      SEOUL, Korea--After a group of players from the Korea Baseball
      Organization formally announced they had formed a union, the KBO
      and team presidents held an emergency meeting the following morning at
      league headquarters in Seoul. Then the league office dropped a bomb
      on the newly formed union by expelling all members from the league.

      At the meeting, deputy secretary general Lee Sang-il read a short
      prepared statement that said that all 75 players who had signed their
      names to a list to join the union were, effective immediately,
      unconditionally released from league service. He went on to say that the
      season would go ahead and open on schedule without the unionized
      players.

      The move came as a bit of a surprise to players who were contacted
      immediately following the announcement at KBO headquarters. Within
      15 minutes, one player contacted by the Korea Times expressed shock
      that he was suddenly out of a job this season.

      "I cannot believe it," said the player, who wished not to be named. "I will
      call teammates now and inform them of what has happened but in my
      opinion, this will only make our thinking stronger."

      During a news conference at the KBO, Lee Sang-kook, secretary
      general of the league, said that if any player were to renounce the union,
      they would be allowed back into the league and immediately be
      reinstated. No questions asked.

      The team presidents and KBO came together quickly and seemed to be
      both highly organized and full of resolve.

      "We will not even entertain the idea of a union at this time," said Lee
      Sang-hyun, manager of the KBO's Operations Division. "We have no
      plan to ever negotiate with any kind of a player union at all."

      Some of the 75 players who have joined the union are the core players
      of the league. Big names like Yang Jun-hyuk of the Haitai Tigers; You
      Ji-hyun, of the LG Twins; Chong Su-kun and Shim Jong-su of the
      Doosan Bears; and Song Jin-woo of the Hanwha Eagles, who was also
      elected as the union's chairman. Song became the first player in KBO
      history to sign a lucrative multiyear contract after the onset of free
      agency late last year.

      The timing could not be worse for the league, which is coming off its first
      profitable season in four years and was planning to make a surge
      forward to win back the fans they had lost over the years.

      From Baseball America Online

      Gary