Re: Welcome to this mailing list!

  • jacobmejvik
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2003
      Howdy

      Hopefully everyone got home allright by now. Hopefully you enjoyed
      the stay in wik/uppsala/sweden as much as I did...allthough I have
      full understanding for most of your complaints about sweden such as
      the sun shining in the night, mosquitos and the swedish food(which
      the young swedes tend to avoid nowadays :) ).

      I learned much from the competition:

      -Be prepared...it is hard to present something you haven't worked
      enough with...it is even harder answering questions which you have
      no clue about...especially if they are fired in cross examination
      style...

      -Normaly nice people can turn really scary if they are better
      prepared then you are...The polish team really scared me in the
      first round...brrr..I still have nightmares j/k...and I think the
      australian girl(Caitlin if my memory serves me right) would have
      made me cry with the treatment she gave the poor ukraininan guy
      (think it was ukraine) ..even though I am kind of used to the fast
      speaking(Sarah is actually speaking faster..which you might have
      noticed...and she was still far from max speed)

      - Still feel sorry for the only girl in the slovak team who
      was "forced" to clean the window by here male team mates.

      - Brain capacity= k * 1/(Body temperatur - 36°C) If body
      temperature >= 37°C Thanks to the teacher who helped me
      get some pain killers.

      - Movies/pictures= + 1-2 points
      - Formulas and nice words without explanation = + 1-2 points
      - The scale starts at 4...You have to forget the powerpoint
      presenattion and do it on the whiteboard to get 3 :)..guess it
      counts as preparations...but we did have some sort of presenattion
      somewhere else...

      - Results= k^(time)* budget

      - Four hours of sleep a night isn't ideal for the performance...but
      neccesary to fix presenattions...

      Some comments about the competition to organisers.

      In general well organised but a few things could have been
      improved...

      - Clearer questions...the language problem was large here in my
      humble opinion

      - Explanation of the rules...in some cases both jury members and
      teams had problems.

      - Help the new teams by making it perfectly clear what is happening
      in each stage of the round.

      - Some points awarded by the jury seemed wiered...making clear what
      they are looking for is good...I am not sure jury members understod
      the question or the correct answer or the english at times..

      Anyways I am sure most of you agree with me that the last days were
      the most fun(when nights could be used to other things than
      improving semi done presentations)

      The barbeque party was fun...I liked the american with all the toys
      and the lamb was just great...think most nationalities enjoyed this
      food :)
      I think we managed to spread the very intresting sport called
      ultimate(organised frisbee throwing...still want to know more about
      how to throw a frisbee...tried to get info from the New Zealand
      guy...who kept telling different names to Sergei...but I think it
      was Andrew)

      - Fotball(soccer for some...hmm...re...hark...tar..hmm...ds j/k :))
      is really fun to do when you are many people...but it is hard to
      play in wet grass and minimal control...sorry for the injuries I
      inflicted on the new zealand team...first of all I tried to break
      but it didn't work...the second time it wasn't my fault you were
      between the ball and the goal...:))

      - Playing child games can be really fun even though it is ridicilous
      but it is great for getting to know people and learning their names.
      The dutch girl(name starting with an R (Riona or something like
      that)) was good at killing people...The ever happy Skye Perkins
      (Perky = lively cheerful...coincidence?) fell for the old "look a
      flying elephant trick"...it was late and for some reason those from
      the other side of the globe (Australia and New Zealand) didn't seem
      to be properly trained in the art of staying up late at 4 AM they
      were all like clubed seals...only one stil "awake" was Andrew (if
      that really was his name) but sometimes there was serious doubts
      about if he was really awake or just sleep walking :)...you better
      make sure your teams for next year is better trained in this
      aspect...of course europe was only represented by three brave souls
      but we seemed more awake overall...

      - Not sleeping and then going to listen to physics competitions just
      when the real desire to sleep kicks in(9-10) is not a good
      idea...especially not if you feel like "resting your eyes" when the
      opposition starts...there is a greta risk that you miss the entire
      finals by passing out on the bench infront of you to the great joy
      of your teammates that have got a full nights sleep...more questions
      with explosives next year to prevent this...

      - Being social is not easy when you have a cold and a fever...think
      I have at least one team mate that can back me up on that one...If I
      seem to be braindead or druged in anyway on any photos I probably
      am...just so you know I normally look like a model :)

      - I think I managed to learn most of the names of those staying up
      late that night...once again proves that repetition
      helps...unfortunalty I will have forgeten this until I have to study
      next time and will read the night before(If I am trying that hard)

      Finnaly I am pretty sure I wrote my E-mail in a book(diary I think)
      which seemed to conatin a lot of E-mail addresses and since I am a
      lazy guy I kind of hoped that the australian girl who told me to
      write my E-mail there would send an E-mail to everyone so I would
      get the E-mails with minimal work...I am still hoping that it will
      come true...

      This leads me to another problem...I have a memory like a goldfish
      and have forgotten the name of the australian girl with the book
      even though I probably heard it 100 times...I spent 3 hours on the
      train trying to figure out what her name was so if anyone can help
      me out and tell me, it would be much appriciated.

      As Anna pointed out more pictures would be nice and also a full name
      list of participants and organisers, team leaders, jury members et c
      would be nice. Possibly names together with the pictures

      The clock is getting close to 5 AM so I better go to bed before the
      rest of the family starts waking up.

      Best wishes

      Jacob Mejvik proud member of the Swedish team II
      Suffering from amnesia/alzheimers light and a temporary cold during
      the iypt...aka Jacob in the blue shirt for those who were still
      awake at that time.

      My email and msn messanger account is Jacob.Mejvik@... if
      anyone wants to write something it would be nice...even better if
      everyone writes something...would make me happy :)

      Just a little note to someone annonymous who should know who he is:
      If you for some reason end up with a girl in your bed, ffs do
      something about it!! Sleeping isn't qualified as enough!!
    • jacobmejvik
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2003
        The E-mail looked wierd...jacob.Mejvik at telia.com if that
        helps...you better send me something now
      • gym_morrison2003
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26, 2003
          hey everyone

          what´s up? seems you guys aren´t writing very much, I say we should
          start writing a bit more

          was nice participating in the tournament with all of you
          ok, maybe its too late to be saying this, but I was kind of busy

          it would be nice to keep in contact
          and please get more pictures so we can all see them

          I´m gonna put some of mine (as soon as I have them)

          well, see ya

          Daniel (Mexico Team)