Re: Welcome to this mailing list!

  • anna_sowinska
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2003
      --- In iypt@yahoogroups.com, "yoakim_82" <joali741@s...> wrote:
      > This is just to test this group out. Please go right ahead and post
      > more intresting messages than this.
      >
      > /Joakim Lindén, one off the swedish guides

      i've no more interesting note, but then i could ask if i am already
      here - can you put some more photos on your webside ??

      anna magda sowinska - captain of polish team
    • jacobmejvik
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2003
        Howdy

        Hopefully everyone got home allright by now. Hopefully you enjoyed
        the stay in wik/uppsala/sweden as much as I did...allthough I have
        full understanding for most of your complaints about sweden such as
        the sun shining in the night, mosquitos and the swedish food(which
        the young swedes tend to avoid nowadays :) ).

        I learned much from the competition:

        -Be prepared...it is hard to present something you haven't worked
        enough with...it is even harder answering questions which you have
        no clue about...especially if they are fired in cross examination
        style...

        -Normaly nice people can turn really scary if they are better
        prepared then you are...The polish team really scared me in the
        first round...brrr..I still have nightmares j/k...and I think the
        australian girl(Caitlin if my memory serves me right) would have
        made me cry with the treatment she gave the poor ukraininan guy
        (think it was ukraine) ..even though I am kind of used to the fast
        speaking(Sarah is actually speaking faster..which you might have
        noticed...and she was still far from max speed)

        - Still feel sorry for the only girl in the slovak team who
        was "forced" to clean the window by here male team mates.

        - Brain capacity= k * 1/(Body temperatur - 36°C) If body
        temperature >= 37°C Thanks to the teacher who helped me
        get some pain killers.

        - Movies/pictures= + 1-2 points
        - Formulas and nice words without explanation = + 1-2 points
        - The scale starts at 4...You have to forget the powerpoint
        presenattion and do it on the whiteboard to get 3 :)..guess it
        counts as preparations...but we did have some sort of presenattion
        somewhere else...

        - Results= k^(time)* budget

        - Four hours of sleep a night isn't ideal for the performance...but
        neccesary to fix presenattions...

        Some comments about the competition to organisers.

        In general well organised but a few things could have been
        improved...

        - Clearer questions...the language problem was large here in my
        humble opinion

        - Explanation of the rules...in some cases both jury members and
        teams had problems.

        - Help the new teams by making it perfectly clear what is happening
        in each stage of the round.

        - Some points awarded by the jury seemed wiered...making clear what
        they are looking for is good...I am not sure jury members understod
        the question or the correct answer or the english at times..

        Anyways I am sure most of you agree with me that the last days were
        the most fun(when nights could be used to other things than
        improving semi done presentations)

        The barbeque party was fun...I liked the american with all the toys
        and the lamb was just great...think most nationalities enjoyed this
        food :)
        I think we managed to spread the very intresting sport called
        ultimate(organised frisbee throwing...still want to know more about
        how to throw a frisbee...tried to get info from the New Zealand
        guy...who kept telling different names to Sergei...but I think it
        was Andrew)

        - Fotball(soccer for some...hmm...re...hark...tar..hmm...ds j/k :))
        is really fun to do when you are many people...but it is hard to
        play in wet grass and minimal control...sorry for the injuries I
        inflicted on the new zealand team...first of all I tried to break
        but it didn't work...the second time it wasn't my fault you were
        between the ball and the goal...:))

        - Playing child games can be really fun even though it is ridicilous
        but it is great for getting to know people and learning their names.
        The dutch girl(name starting with an R (Riona or something like
        that)) was good at killing people...The ever happy Skye Perkins
        (Perky = lively cheerful...coincidence?) fell for the old "look a
        flying elephant trick"...it was late and for some reason those from
        the other side of the globe (Australia and New Zealand) didn't seem
        to be properly trained in the art of staying up late at 4 AM they
        were all like clubed seals...only one stil "awake" was Andrew (if
        that really was his name) but sometimes there was serious doubts
        about if he was really awake or just sleep walking :)...you better
        make sure your teams for next year is better trained in this
        aspect...of course europe was only represented by three brave souls
        but we seemed more awake overall...

        - Not sleeping and then going to listen to physics competitions just
        when the real desire to sleep kicks in(9-10) is not a good
        idea...especially not if you feel like "resting your eyes" when the
        opposition starts...there is a greta risk that you miss the entire
        finals by passing out on the bench infront of you to the great joy
        of your teammates that have got a full nights sleep...more questions
        with explosives next year to prevent this...

        - Being social is not easy when you have a cold and a fever...think
        I have at least one team mate that can back me up on that one...If I
        seem to be braindead or druged in anyway on any photos I probably
        am...just so you know I normally look like a model :)

        - I think I managed to learn most of the names of those staying up
        late that night...once again proves that repetition
        helps...unfortunalty I will have forgeten this until I have to study
        next time and will read the night before(If I am trying that hard)

        Finnaly I am pretty sure I wrote my E-mail in a book(diary I think)
        which seemed to conatin a lot of E-mail addresses and since I am a
        lazy guy I kind of hoped that the australian girl who told me to
        write my E-mail there would send an E-mail to everyone so I would
        get the E-mails with minimal work...I am still hoping that it will
        come true...

        This leads me to another problem...I have a memory like a goldfish
        and have forgotten the name of the australian girl with the book
        even though I probably heard it 100 times...I spent 3 hours on the
        train trying to figure out what her name was so if anyone can help
        me out and tell me, it would be much appriciated.

        As Anna pointed out more pictures would be nice and also a full name
        list of participants and organisers, team leaders, jury members et c
        would be nice. Possibly names together with the pictures

        The clock is getting close to 5 AM so I better go to bed before the
        rest of the family starts waking up.

        Best wishes

        Jacob Mejvik proud member of the Swedish team II
        Suffering from amnesia/alzheimers light and a temporary cold during
        the iypt...aka Jacob in the blue shirt for those who were still
        awake at that time.

        My email and msn messanger account is Jacob.Mejvik@... if
        anyone wants to write something it would be nice...even better if
        everyone writes something...would make me happy :)

        Just a little note to someone annonymous who should know who he is:
        If you for some reason end up with a girl in your bed, ffs do
        something about it!! Sleeping isn't qualified as enough!!
      • jacobmejvik
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2003
          The E-mail looked wierd...jacob.Mejvik at telia.com if that
          helps...you better send me something now
        • gym_morrison2003
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 26, 2003
            hey everyone

            what´s up? seems you guys aren´t writing very much, I say we should
            start writing a bit more

            was nice participating in the tournament with all of you
            ok, maybe its too late to be saying this, but I was kind of busy

            it would be nice to keep in contact
            and please get more pictures so we can all see them

            I´m gonna put some of mine (as soon as I have them)

            well, see ya

            Daniel (Mexico Team)