Welcome to this mailing list!

  • yoakim_82
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2003
      This is just to test this group out. Please go right ahead and post
      more intresting messages than this.

      /Joakim Lindén, one off the swedish guides
    • anna_sowinska
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2003
        --- In iypt@yahoogroups.com, "yoakim_82" <joali741@s...> wrote:
        > This is just to test this group out. Please go right ahead and post
        > more intresting messages than this.
        >
        > /Joakim Lindén, one off the swedish guides

        i've no more interesting note, but then i could ask if i am already
        here - can you put some more photos on your webside ??

        anna magda sowinska - captain of polish team
      • jacobmejvik
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2003
          Howdy

          Hopefully everyone got home allright by now. Hopefully you enjoyed
          the stay in wik/uppsala/sweden as much as I did...allthough I have
          full understanding for most of your complaints about sweden such as
          the sun shining in the night, mosquitos and the swedish food(which
          the young swedes tend to avoid nowadays :) ).

          I learned much from the competition:

          -Be prepared...it is hard to present something you haven't worked
          enough with...it is even harder answering questions which you have
          no clue about...especially if they are fired in cross examination
          style...

          -Normaly nice people can turn really scary if they are better
          prepared then you are...The polish team really scared me in the
          first round...brrr..I still have nightmares j/k...and I think the
          australian girl(Caitlin if my memory serves me right) would have
          made me cry with the treatment she gave the poor ukraininan guy
          (think it was ukraine) ..even though I am kind of used to the fast
          speaking(Sarah is actually speaking faster..which you might have
          noticed...and she was still far from max speed)

          - Still feel sorry for the only girl in the slovak team who
          was "forced" to clean the window by here male team mates.

          - Brain capacity= k * 1/(Body temperatur - 36°C) If body
          temperature >= 37°C Thanks to the teacher who helped me
          get some pain killers.

          - Movies/pictures= + 1-2 points
          - Formulas and nice words without explanation = + 1-2 points
          - The scale starts at 4...You have to forget the powerpoint
          presenattion and do it on the whiteboard to get 3 :)..guess it
          counts as preparations...but we did have some sort of presenattion
          somewhere else...

          - Results= k^(time)* budget

          - Four hours of sleep a night isn't ideal for the performance...but
          neccesary to fix presenattions...

          Some comments about the competition to organisers.

          In general well organised but a few things could have been
          improved...

          - Clearer questions...the language problem was large here in my
          humble opinion

          - Explanation of the rules...in some cases both jury members and
          teams had problems.

          - Help the new teams by making it perfectly clear what is happening
          in each stage of the round.

          - Some points awarded by the jury seemed wiered...making clear what
          they are looking for is good...I am not sure jury members understod
          the question or the correct answer or the english at times..

          Anyways I am sure most of you agree with me that the last days were
          the most fun(when nights could be used to other things than
          improving semi done presentations)

          The barbeque party was fun...I liked the american with all the toys
          and the lamb was just great...think most nationalities enjoyed this
          food :)
          I think we managed to spread the very intresting sport called
          ultimate(organised frisbee throwing...still want to know more about
          how to throw a frisbee...tried to get info from the New Zealand
          guy...who kept telling different names to Sergei...but I think it
          was Andrew)

          - Fotball(soccer for some...hmm...re...hark...tar..hmm...ds j/k :))
          is really fun to do when you are many people...but it is hard to
          play in wet grass and minimal control...sorry for the injuries I
          inflicted on the new zealand team...first of all I tried to break
          but it didn't work...the second time it wasn't my fault you were
          between the ball and the goal...:))

          - Playing child games can be really fun even though it is ridicilous
          but it is great for getting to know people and learning their names.
          The dutch girl(name starting with an R (Riona or something like
          that)) was good at killing people...The ever happy Skye Perkins
          (Perky = lively cheerful...coincidence?) fell for the old "look a
          flying elephant trick"...it was late and for some reason those from
          the other side of the globe (Australia and New Zealand) didn't seem
          to be properly trained in the art of staying up late at 4 AM they
          were all like clubed seals...only one stil "awake" was Andrew (if
          that really was his name) but sometimes there was serious doubts
          about if he was really awake or just sleep walking :)...you better
          make sure your teams for next year is better trained in this
          aspect...of course europe was only represented by three brave souls
          but we seemed more awake overall...

          - Not sleeping and then going to listen to physics competitions just
          when the real desire to sleep kicks in(9-10) is not a good
          idea...especially not if you feel like "resting your eyes" when the
          opposition starts...there is a greta risk that you miss the entire
          finals by passing out on the bench infront of you to the great joy
          of your teammates that have got a full nights sleep...more questions
          with explosives next year to prevent this...

          - Being social is not easy when you have a cold and a fever...think
          I have at least one team mate that can back me up on that one...If I
          seem to be braindead or druged in anyway on any photos I probably
          am...just so you know I normally look like a model :)

          - I think I managed to learn most of the names of those staying up
          late that night...once again proves that repetition
          helps...unfortunalty I will have forgeten this until I have to study
          next time and will read the night before(If I am trying that hard)

          Finnaly I am pretty sure I wrote my E-mail in a book(diary I think)
          which seemed to conatin a lot of E-mail addresses and since I am a
          lazy guy I kind of hoped that the australian girl who told me to
          write my E-mail there would send an E-mail to everyone so I would
          get the E-mails with minimal work...I am still hoping that it will
          come true...

          This leads me to another problem...I have a memory like a goldfish
          and have forgotten the name of the australian girl with the book
          even though I probably heard it 100 times...I spent 3 hours on the
          train trying to figure out what her name was so if anyone can help
          me out and tell me, it would be much appriciated.

          As Anna pointed out more pictures would be nice and also a full name
          list of participants and organisers, team leaders, jury members et c
          would be nice. Possibly names together with the pictures

          The clock is getting close to 5 AM so I better go to bed before the
          rest of the family starts waking up.

          Best wishes

          Jacob Mejvik proud member of the Swedish team II
          Suffering from amnesia/alzheimers light and a temporary cold during
          the iypt...aka Jacob in the blue shirt for those who were still
          awake at that time.

          My email and msn messanger account is Jacob.Mejvik@... if
          anyone wants to write something it would be nice...even better if
          everyone writes something...would make me happy :)

          Just a little note to someone annonymous who should know who he is:
          If you for some reason end up with a girl in your bed, ffs do
          something about it!! Sleeping isn't qualified as enough!!
        • jacobmejvik
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2003
            The E-mail looked wierd...jacob.Mejvik at telia.com if that
            helps...you better send me something now
          • gym_morrison2003
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 26, 2003
              hey everyone

              what´s up? seems you guys aren´t writing very much, I say we should
              start writing a bit more

              was nice participating in the tournament with all of you
              ok, maybe its too late to be saying this, but I was kind of busy

              it would be nice to keep in contact
              and please get more pictures so we can all see them

              I´m gonna put some of mine (as soon as I have them)

              well, see ya

              Daniel (Mexico Team)