[NewsBits] NewsBits - 02/06/01 (fwd)

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7 6:03 PM
      Terror groups hide behind Web encryption
      Hidden in the X-rated pictures on several
      pornographic Web sites and the posted comments
      on sports chat rooms may lie the encrypted
      blueprints of the next terrorist attack
      against the United States or its allies. It
      sounds farfetched, but U.S. officials and
      experts say it's the latest method of
      communication being used by Osama bin Laden
      and his associates to outfox law enforcement.
      Bin Laden, indicted in the bombing in 1998
      of two U.S. embassies in East Africa, and
      others are hiding maps and photographs of
      terrorist targets and posting instructions
      for terrorist activities on sports chat
      rooms, pornographic bulletin boards and
      other Web sites, U.S. and foreign officials
      say.
      http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2001-02-05-binladen.htm

      Bell Labs cryptologist sees digital signature flaw, fix
      A SCIENTIST AT Bell Labs, the research and development
      wing of Lucent Technologies, has discovered a flaw in
      the Digital Signature Algorithm (DSA) that could affect
      the integrity of secure transactions on the Internet
      and adversely impact VPNs (virtual private networks),
      online shopping, and online financial transactions.
      Daniel Bleichenbacher, a member of Bell Labs'
      Information Sciences Research Center, discovered a
      glitch in the random number generation technique used
      with the DSA, according to the company in a statement.
      He learned that the DSA's random number generator was
      biased and was twice as likely to pick a set of numbers
      from one range than from another. The U.S. National
      Security Agency designed DSA and it is one of three
      authentication algorithms approved for generating and
      verifying digital signature under the Digital Signature
      Standard.
      http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/02/05/010205hndsa.xml
    • Rob Rosenberger
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8 3:49 PM
        {8 February 2001, 11:00 CT}

        Vmyths.com predicts the media will file stories about "renewed conflicts" in
        the so-called "Israeli-Palestinian cyberwar." Reason: Israel's newly
        elected leader is a "right-wing hawk" with hard-line stances against
        Palestine.

        A beltway bandit called "iDefense" carved a media niche with tailor-made
        fearmongering. However, they put it on a backburner when "cyberwarriors" on
        both sides of the conflict grew bored. (Sony released the PlayStation 2
        around the same time. Coincidence?) An iDefense "intelligence services
        report" on the supposed conflict has remained unchanged (and incorrectly
        dated) since the first week of January. Watch for analyst Ben Venzke, new
        CEO Brian Kelly, and other iDefense flunkies to renew their fearmongering.
        Also, look for an updated report to appear on iDefense's website.

        Media outlets now accuse terrorist Osama bin Laden of using the Internet as
        a "cyberweapon." iDefense's Venzke predictably rode on the coattails of
        that story. Vmyths.com believes he will exploit bin Laden's reputation to
        enhance the flavor of the Israeli-Palestinian cyberwar. (Think of Venzke as
        a chef who sprinkles MSG on his dishes.)

        Vmyths.com remains underwhelmed by the Israeli-Palestinian "cyberwar." It
        isn't a real battle if a bored 14yr-old can conduct war maneuvers from the
        comfort of his bedroom. Ahh, but at least it keeps him off the street where
        the real fighting occurs... Relevant Vmyths.com columns:
        Raid on E-tebbe, part 1
        http://Vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=248&page=4
        Raid on E-tebbe, part 2
        http://Vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=252&page=4
        Raid on E-tebbe, part 3
        http://Vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=257&page=4
        Raid on E-tebbe, part 4
        http://Vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=284&page=4

        Rob Rosenberger, Vmyths.com editor
        http://Vmyths.com
      • Ozair
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9 11:35 AM
          This is very Interesting!!! and how would maglan respond to this?

          Regards,
          Ozair

[...]

          ------------------
          http://all.net/
        • MAGLAN 1
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 10 1:43 AM
            Regreding thr message sent by Mr.Ozair Rasheed ...

            On early January 2001, the cyber-conflict between Israel and Palestine /
            Pro-Palestinian (official named: Al-Aqsa Cyber Conflict) apparently
            finished. MAGLAN-LAB broad analysis indicts that the mentioned conflict has
            nothing related with any type of "xxxxx Terrorism" (Cyber Terrorism, Digital
            Terrorism etc.). 'Al-Aqsa Cyber Conflict' was and remains a low level mass
            hacking activity with few smart manoeuvres.

            The 'iDefense' (www.idefense.com) published on Jan. 3, 2001 a comprehensive
            report over the Cyber conflict over the Middle East. On Jan. 22, 2001,
            MAGLAN-LAB accomplished the final draft report: "Al-Aqsa Cyber Conflict -
            Net Intelligence Aspects" and finished observing the Al-Aqsa Cyber Conflict.

            MAGLAN-LAB as a rule not deals with 'predictions' unless it's part of an
            on-going study. We respects any information source form any type, like
            Vmyths.com and any other.

            MAGLAN-LAB activity (research and consulting) primarily focuses on Intrusion
            Detection and Prevention Operations (IDPOS), Digital Arsenal Technology
            Development (DAD) and Net Intelligence Techniques (NIT).

            Sincerely,

            Shai Blitzblau
            Head, MAGLAN - Information Defense Technologies.
            Information Warfare Research Lab.