The Middle East InfoWar Conflict - Few Facts
- Middle East - Information Warfare / Cyber Conflict / Cyber Terrorism /
Info-Conflict / Kids Game / Coordinated Attacks ?
Information Warfare (IW) definitions can be change from one to anther.
MAGLAN - Information Warfare Research Lab. defined their on-going researches
based on the 3 resources: the remarkable papers by Michael Wilson - 7PILLARS
(ww.7pillars.com), a message from Michael Vatis - U.S. National
Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC) and the non-official \ internal
Israeli General Security Service definition - while all focused on the
protection of National Infrastructures.
Based on the above and after 75 days of observing and exploring the IW
activity MAGLAN strongly believe that the current digital conflict between
Israel to Palestine is most likely to be an Anonymously Coordinated Internet
Attacks to Describable Cyber Terrorism Conflicts. Even though, national
infrastructures (NI) were and are targets (mainly against Israel) and the
lunched attacks were in a very low quality, caused no any damage from any
type and level for the NI.
Some Facts (update for 09 Dec. 2000):
1. Technical investigation of the Cyber Conflict weapons, can determine that
top configure commercial Router; Firewall and IDS were able to stop
approximately 98.0% of the direct attacks from both sides of the opponents.
2. Investigating the Intelligence collection activity, can determine that
for the first time a systematical operations were accomplished, but the more
information was collected the less direct attacks were noted (why ? - should
be consider to other type of discussion) .
3. About 99.0% of the direct attacks were executed over Internet
environment. Classified networks were not involved.
4. About 97% of the attacks were took the advantage of known security
vulnerabilities while using common hacking tools to non-sophisticated
5. Financial losses from both sides of the opponents are negligible (from
the NI aspects).
6. In the current Cyber Conflict the Israelis started.
7. The Palestinians and their supporters are much more “successful”.
8. Following, observing and investigating the Middle East Cyber Conflict
required well reading abilities in Arabic, Hebrew, Russian, English and
9. Headlines over the media are sometimes much larger than reality.
10. Escalating in the current cyber conflict to information war seen over
the horizon (!).
----------------------------------------------------------- : )
MAGLAN - Information Warfare Research Lab.