The Middle East InfoWar Conflict - Update

  • MAGLAN 1
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 7, 2000
      Overseas Hackers Strike Again: Israel Land Administration Shuts Down Most of its Web Site
      Elazar Levin
      04.12.2000 15:43 Published by Israel's Business Arena

      The Israel Land Administration (ILA) was forced to close most of its Internet site last Fridey, due to damage caused by hostile overseas hackers. From now on and until further notice, there is therefore no possibility of receiving the results of the ILA�s new or previous tenders dated after January 1998.

      In contrast to the damage to tenders, other parts of the site providing general information are still operating.

      The damage caused by the hackers began in the middle of last week. The ILA attempted to overcome the malfunction, but decided by the end of the week that there was no alternative to closing most of the site.

      Among other effects, closing the site means that developers and contractors wishing to participate in ILA tenders are unable to obtain the tender details. The ILA recommends that these parties follow parallel announcements in the daily press.

      ILA acting director-general Miron Chumash told �Globes� that he hopes that the site will renew its functioning within a few days. Meanwhile, the ILA is preparing alternate means of providing the information. The damage by hostile hackers follows similar operations in recent weeks, which among other things damaged the Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site.

    • Ozair
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 8, 2000
        Everyone,

        Is anyone analyzing the frequency, type of attack, magnitude, motive, and
        the type of target behind so called information warfare attacks. I am still
        not willing to call these pranks as information warfare, had it been
        confirmed that these are well coordinated and are moving towards a definite
        objective then they would be rightly called so. But picking up stragglers
        and sites apparently of no value seems hardly worth the news on this group.

        Ozair

        Overseas Hackers Strike Again: Israel Land Administration Shuts Down Most of
        its Web Site
        Elazar Levin
        04.12.2000 15:43 Published by Israel's Business Arena

        The Israel Land Administration (ILA) was forced to close most of its
        Internet site last Fridey, due to damage caused by hostile overseas hackers.
        From now on and until further notice, there is therefore no possibility of

        ------------------
        http://all.net/
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 8, 2000
          Per the message sent by Ozair:

          > Everyone,

          > Is anyone analyzing the frequency, type of attack, magnitude, motive, and
          > the type of target behind so called information warfare attacks.

          You might want to read the roll-up information on the all.net web site to
          get more clarity on this. (http://all.net/ => Mid-East InfoWar)

          The motives have been declared - at least in the case of the
          Palestinians - through doctrine, through publicaitons that indicate it
          is essentially economic warfare, through claims of asymetric advantage
          in thiis venue, through published targeting informaiton, and through
          several publications indicative of intent. This has been declared by
          the Palestinian authority, so it is their official policy at some level.

          > I am still
          > not willing to call these pranks as information warfare, had it been
          > confirmed that these are well coordinated and are moving towards a definite
          > objective then they would be rightly called so.

          The question of whether it is information warfare or information
          terrorism seems, to me, to be moot. If you take the strict US-centric
          view that terrorist groups are those groups listed on the State
          Department's list and that any information operation practiced by those
          groups is terrorism, then this is information terrorism (on the
          Palestinian side). On the israeli side, it doe snot seem to be official
          government policy, but on the other hand, they don't seem to be trying
          to stop Israeli citizens from participating in it. On that side, it
          could be called information warfare, but the state link is not so clear.

          > But picking up stragglers
          > and sites apparently of no value seems hardly worth the news on this group.

          This is not what is hapenning in this case - at least that's not what
          the evidence seems to show.

          > Ozair

          FC
          --
          Fred Cohen at Sandia National Laboratories at tel:925-294-2087 fax:925-294-1225
          Fred Cohen & Associates: http://all.net - fc@... - tel/fax:925-454-0171
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2000
            I don't keep stats on 14yr-old wannabee hackers like iDefense does, but I
            can offer this tactical definition:

            "CYBER-WAR: one or more trivial hacks [attempted or successful] rationalized
            as a 'just cause' by a 14yr-old who joined his countrymen's war effort on a
            whim (after finishing the second shift at Taco Bell), with no fear of
            wartime reprisals for his actions, e.g. getting killed or maimed or taken
            prisoner, and for which he can gain valuable mainstream media exposure as a
            patriot; sometimes used as a precursor to run for public office."

            Rob Rosenberger, Vmyths.com editor
            Truth about computer virus myths & hoaxes
            http://www.Vmyths.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 8, 2000
              We may be missing the forest from the trees. While website defacement may be
              "kid's stuff" and not meet whatever definition of Info War we use, there are
              several important conceptual points, IMHO:

              1) The forces regard "cyberspace" now as an effective medium to conduct
              conflict.
              2) These websites are still physically hosted on webservers, some of which
              are third party and may be hosting non-affiliated services.
              3) These "games" are getting more sophisticated in concept, and it is
              warfare that truly prompts developing new weapons anyway.
              4) Increasing dependence on ISPs for application services, infrastructure
              management, and e-commerce means the same boxes vulnerable to web
              defacements or DDoS attacks also carries financial transactions - that means
              someone loses money.

              - Jim

              > Is anyone analyzing the frequency, type of attack, magnitude, motive, and
              > the type of target behind so called information warfare attacks.

              You might want to read the roll-up information on the all.net web site to
              get more clarity on this. (http://all.net/ => Mid-East InfoWar)

              The motives have been declared - at least in the case of the
              Palestinians - through doctrine, through publicaitons that indicate it
              is essentially economic warfare, through claims of asymetric advantage
              in thiis venue, through published targeting informaiton, and through
              several publications indicative of intent. This has been declared by
              the Palestinian authority, so it is their official policy at some level.

              > I am still
              > not willing to call these pranks as information warfare, had it been
              > confirmed that these are well coordinated and are moving towards a
              definite
              > objective then they would be rightly called so.

              The question of whether it is information warfare or information
              terrorism seems, to me, to be moot. If you take the strict US-centric
              view that terrorist groups are those groups listed on the State
              Department's list and that any information operation practiced by those
              groups is terrorism, then this is information terrorism (on the
              Palestinian side). On the israeli side, it doe snot seem to be official
              government policy, but on the other hand, they don't seem to be trying
              to stop Israeli citizens from participating in it. On that side, it
              could be called information warfare, but the state link is not so clear.

              > But picking up stragglers
              > and sites apparently of no value seems hardly worth the news on this
              group.

              This is not what is hapenning in this case - at least that's not what
              the evidence seems to show.

              > Ozair

              FC

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 8, 2000
                Good comments, but just one thing though. It seems to be lopsided against
                Palestinians, calling them terrorists on Electronic frontier, we have to
                remember that the internet is a place where a 14 year old kid has the same
                tools as 40 year man, and perhaps more free time and a lot more know-how,
                this means that tools and power is un-balanced. In a world outside the
                cyberspace we see a different story where 14 yr old kid is puny as compared
                to the 40 yr old. And if 40 yr old can over power the 14 yr old due to
                physical prowess and can destabilize him economically but in cyber space
                things are evened out.

                In a programme on BBC on this very same topic pointed out that the cyber
                attacks are of equal match and frequency in the ME war.

                Besides, we have to realize that Palestinians have very small (it may be
                right to call none) number of commercial sites while the Isrealees have
                many, making the susceptible to attacks. Therefore the number of hits on
                Israeli sites are many.

                These were my two bits,
                Ozair

                > Is anyone analyzing the frequency, type of attack, magnitude, motive, and
                > the type of target behind so called information warfare attacks.

                You might want to read the roll-up information on the all.net web site to
                get more clarity on this. (http://all.net/ => Mid-East InfoWar)

                The motives have been declared - at least in the case of the
                Palestinians - through doctrine, through publicaitons that indicate it
                is essentially economic warfare, through claims of asymetric advantage
                in thiis venue, through published targeting informaiton, and through
                several publications indicative of intent. This has been declared by
                the Palestinian authority, so it is their official policy at some level.

                > I am still
                > not willing to call these pranks as information warfare, had it been
                > confirmed that these are well coordinated and are moving towards a
                definite
                > objective then they would be rightly called so.

                The question of whether it is information warfare or information
                terrorism seems, to me, to be moot. If you take the strict US-centric
                view that terrorist groups are those groups listed on the State
                Department's list and that any information operation practiced by those
                groups is terrorism, then this is information terrorism (on the
                Palestinian side). On the israeli side, it doe snot seem to be official
                government policy, but on the other hand, they don't seem to be trying
                to stop Israeli citizens from participating in it. On that side, it
                could be called information warfare, but the state link is not so clear.

                > But picking up stragglers
                > and sites apparently of no value seems hardly worth the news on this
                group.

                This is not what is hapenning in this case - at least that's not what
                the evidence seems to show.

                > Ozair

                FC

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 8, 2000
                  Your points are well taken, the tools in cyber space already exist, the same
                  IP protocol, it is the usage of these tool that makes the weapon, the
                  important part is that these tools are products of thought and do not
                  require much material input.

                  Also, currently there is a talk of ASPs, I am sure that when an ASP is
                  brought down then the losses may be spread over businesses and not just
                  localized to specific area. E.g, what will happen when a company that leases
                  word processing package from an ASP will find that today no memo got
                  written, no report got typed because the ASP was down and this means losses
                  hitting all the subscribers of such services.

                  It is just a thought.....

                  Regards
                  Ozair

                  > Is anyone analyzing the frequency, type of attack, magnitude, motive, and
                  > the type of target behind so called information warfare attacks.

                  You might want to read the roll-up information on the all.net web site to
                  get more clarity on this. (http://all.net/ => Mid-East InfoWar)

                  The motives have been declared - at least in the case of the
                  Palestinians - through doctrine, through publicaitons that indicate it
                  is essentially economic warfare, through claims of asymetric advantage
                  in thiis venue, through published targeting informaiton, and through
                  several publications indicative of intent. This has been declared by
                  the Palestinian authority, so it is their official policy at some level.

                  > I am still
                  > not willing to call these pranks as information warfare, had it been
                  > confirmed that these are well coordinated and are moving towards a
                  definite
                  > objective then they would be rightly called so.

                  The question of whether it is information warfare or information
                  terrorism seems, to me, to be moot. If you take the strict US-centric
                  view that terrorist groups are those groups listed on the State
                  Department's list and that any information operation practiced by those
                  groups is terrorism, then this is information terrorism (on the
                  Palestinian side). On the israeli side, it doe snot seem to be official
                  government policy, but on the other hand, they don't seem to be trying
                  to stop Israeli citizens from participating in it. On that side, it
                  could be called information warfare, but the state link is not so clear.

                  > But picking up stragglers
                  > and sites apparently of no value seems hardly worth the news on this
                  group.

                  This is not what is hapenning in this case - at least that's not what
                  the evidence seems to show.

                  > Ozair

                  FC

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 8, 2000
                    Per the message sent by Ozair:

                    > Good comments, but just one thing though. It seems to be lopsided against
                    > Palestinians, calling them terrorists on Electronic frontier, we have to
                    > remember that the internet is a place where a 14 year old kid has the same
                    > tools as 40 year man, and perhaps more free time and a lot more know-how,
                    > this means that tools and power is un-balanced. In a world outside the
                    > cyberspace we see a different story where 14 yr old kid is puny as compared
                    > to the 40 yr old. And if 40 yr old can over power the 14 yr old due to
                    > physical prowess and can destabilize him economically but in cyber space
                    > things are evened out.

                    I don't think that the site takes that point of view - it only provides
                    stories written about the issues by other parties and commentary on the
                    overall situation. It also contains copies of Palestinean viewpoints in
                    larger volume than those of Israeli viewpoints. But the best thing you
                    could do to present a different viewpoint would be to provide those
                    views, which I will put on the site.

                    > In a programme on BBC on this very same topic pointed out that the cyber
                    > attacks are of equal match and frequency in the ME war.

                    Excellent point.

                    > Besides, we have to realize that Palestinians have very small (it may be
                    > right to call none) number of commercial sites while the Isrealees have
                    > many, making the susceptible to attacks. Therefore the number of hits on
                    > Israeli sites are many.

                    I think that in the conflict itself, the Palestinians are doing far more
                    damage to the Israelis than the other way around - for exactly the resons
                    you point out - when you have nothing, you have nothing to lose.

                    > These were my two bits,
                    > Ozair

                    I would welcome an article -or periodic feeds from you and others to add
                    to the site.

                    FC
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 8, 2000
                      I did not say that this point of view was represented on the site, I was
                      just commenting on the replies in your earlier mail.

                      I would love to contribute to articles on your website, however I am pressed
                      for time due to work environments.

                      In order to have a more meaningful contribution to the Information warfare.
                      I suggest that you set up a formal forum for people who want to contribute
                      articles to the site. This forum should be managed by a person who suggests
                      direction or focus of articles to be published as part of a quarterly theme,
                      something like a Magazine, only that contribution to this would be purely
                      voluntary with free distribution. This will provide the contributors some
                      target to write for.

                      At least that is my view point.