Myanmar/Burma shut down the Internet - information warfare as clear as day

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2007
      All,

      It seems to me that the shutdown of the Internet between Myanmar/
      Burma and the world is indicative of just how important it is to
      their government to control what the world sees and the ability to
      coordinate internally. But it also seems to me to point clearly to
      the increasing violence by the government there. They have apparently
      been very upset at the negative images and the clarity with which so
      many images of what they are doing to control/arrest/kill/imprison
      their citizens and have decided that the Internet was the source of
      their problems. I wonder how long it will take for an independent
      Internet connectivity to spring up with wireless and other radios and
      to regain national access. If I were another government or non-
      government organization with resources, I think I would have the
      whole country on an independent Internet over combinations of
      wireless within a day or two, with new addressing schemes so that
      tracing paths back into the country was problematic and identities
      would not be available to figure out how and where the links were
      going or who was posting what information, thus eliminating the
      government's control and ability to enforce restrictions on free
      exchange.

      I would love to hear other views on this.

      FC
      - This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to
      serve -
      Fred Cohen & Associates tel/fax: 925-454-0171
      http://all.net/ 572 Leona Drive Livermore, CA 94550
      mailing list