The lull in offensive IO is over??

  • myanalit
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      In 2003, Scheuer wrote in "Imperial Hubris" (p. 79) that "the UK
      based arabic daily al-Hayat claimed that they have been the victim of
      20 US Internet Attacks. As per endnote #59, this claim was made by
      al-Hayat on Jan. 19th 2003.

      Roll forward:
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1715166,00.html
      <TITLE>Finger points to British intelligence as al-Qaeda websites are
      wiped out</TITLE>

      <SNIP>
      "Over the past fortnight Israeli intelligence agents have noticed
      something distinctly odd happening on the internet. One by one, Al-
      Qaeda's affiliated websites have vanished until only a handful
      remain, write Uzi Mahnaimi and Alex Pell." (....) One global jihad
      site terminated recently was an inflammatory Pakistani site,
      www.mojihedun.com, in which a section entitled How to Strike a
      European City gave full technical instructions. Tens of similar
      sites, some offering detailed information on how to build and use
      biological weapons, have also been shut down. However, Islamic sites
      believed to be "moderate", remain."
      </SNIP>

      Hindsight:
      I remember speaking at an INFOWAR conference in early 2001, whereby
      one of the other speakers, from NDU I recall, asserted that "We (the
      world) is in sort of a lull as far as Information warfare is
      concerned".

      I guess that lull is over.

      Mark