news

    Message 1 of 253 , Sep 6, 2001
      ___________
      September 2001

      CALL FOR ACTION ON TUESDAY OCTOBER 16th - WORLDWIDE ANTI-McDONALD'S DAY

      The 17th annual Worldwide Anti-McDonald's Day will be on Tues October 16th
      [UN World Food Day] - a protest against the promotion of junk food, the
      unethical targeting of children, exploitation of workers, animal cruelty,
      damage to the environment and the global domination of corporations over
      our lives. Last year, as always there were local protests all around the
      globe, involving most of the countries where there have been regular
      events in
      the past - of particular note were the widespread and large protests
      throughout Italy (eg at one store in Rome 300 demonstrators succeeded in
      getting it
      closed for the day). But last year also included demonstrations in Hawaii,
      Hong Kong, Phillipines and Colombia. As part of the global protests,
      there were also some events on Oct 12th - an annual day of solidarity with
      McDonald's workers.

      [In 1999 we monitored where the protests took place - we heard of 425
      protests and pickets in 345 towns in 23 countries: Argentina, Australia,
      Austria, Belgium, Canada, England, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland,
      Italy, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Romania,
      Scotland,
      South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, USA]. Over 3 million leaflets
      have
      now been handed out in the UK alone since 1990 (when the McDonald's
      Corporation served libel writs aiming to suppress the London Greenpeace
      leafletting
      campaign) and it is now distributed worldwide.

      WHY NOT ORGANISE PICKETS IN YOUR TOWN ANY TIME?
      Please copy the 'What's Wrong With McDonald's?' leaflet at:
      www.mcspotlight.org/campaigns/current/resources.html [see below]

      Despite its strenuous efforts, McDonald's is widely despised, and its
      'reputation' - along with that of the food industry in general - continues
      to sink ever further.

      As well as the mass distribution of leaflets by thousands of local
      activists around the world the global campaign against McDonald's has
      continued to
      grow over the last couple of years:

      - many determined residents' campaigns against new stores, including a
      successful 552-day occupation of a proposed McDonald's site by residents
      of Hinchley Wood, S.E. England - mass anti-McDonald's protests by french
      farmers
      including a 30,000-strong demo
      - new efforts by McDonald's workers to organise together to stand up to
      their bosses (eg. in the UK, France, Russia and Canada)
      - protests at the Sydney 2000 Olympics against McDonald's mass use of
      refrigeration chemicals linked to global warming
      - an international scandal over extreme labour exploitation in China for
      the production of McDonald's 'happy meal' toys
      - a wave of complaints calling for a ban on their advertising to children
      - protests throughout the US and elsewhere focusing on the cruelty
      suffered by chickens raised for McDonald's products
      - growing concern throughout Europe and the US about the threat to human
      health posed by beef-related diseases (such as BSE) and
      genetically-modified animal feed - McDonald's increasingly identified by a
      wide range of
      protestors worldwide as a symbol of modern capitalism
      - recent fall in their global profits and corporate plans to close 250
      stores

      And there's been continuing bad publicity for the Corporation as a
      result of the McLibel case, the longest in english history - including the
      collapse of McDonald's censorship attempts and some damning legal rulings
      against the
      company: exploiting children with their advertising strategy, deceiving
      consumers by claiming their food is nutritious, promoting food linked to a
      greater risk of heart disease, paying low wages and being responsible for
      animal cruelty.

      The McLibel defendants, Helen Steel and Dave Morris are currently taking
      the British Government to the European Court of Human Rights over
      oppressive
      and unfair UK libel laws.

      - McLibel Support Campaign

      Feel free to amend/ add own details etc

      WHAT'S WRONG WITH McDONALD'S?

      McDonald's spend well over $2 billion every year worldwide on
      advertising and promotions, trying to cultivate an image of being a
      'caring' and 'green'
      company that is also a fun place to eat. Children are lured in (dragging
      their parents behind them) with the promise of toys and other gimmicks.
      But behind the smiling face of Ronald McDonald lies the reality -
      McDonald's
      only interest is money, making profits from whoever and whatever they can,
      just like all multinational companies. McDonald's Annual Reports talk of
      'Global Domination' - they aim to open more and more stores across the
      globe - but their continual worldwide expansion means more uniformity,
      less
      choice and the undermining of local communities.

      PROMOTING UNHEALTHY FOOD
      McDonald's promote their food as 'nutritious', but the reality is that
      it is junk food - high in fat, sugar and salt, and low in fibre and
      vitamins. A
      diet of this type is linked with a greater risk of heart disease, cancer,
      diabetes and other diseases. Their food also contains many chemical
      additives, some of which may cause ill-health, and hyperactivity in
      children. Don't forget too that meat is the cause of the majority of food
      poisoning incidents. In 1991 McDonald's were responsible for an
      outbreak of food poisoning in the UK, in which people suffered serious
      kidney failure.
      With modern intensive farming methods, other diseases - linked to chemical
      residues or unnatural practices - have become a danger to people too (such
      as BSE).

      EXPLOITING WORKERS
      Workers in the fast food industry are paid low wages. McDonald's do not
      pay overtime rates even when employees work very long hours. Pressure to
      keep
      profits high and wage costs low results in understaffing, so staff have to
      work harder and faster. As a consequence, accidents (particularly burns)
      are common. The majority of employees are people who have few job options
      and so are forced to accept this exploitation, and they're compelled to
      'smile' too! Not surprisingly staff turnover at McDonald's is high,
      making it virtually impossible to unionise and fight for a better deal,
      which
      suits McDonald's who have always been opposed to Unions.

      ROBBING THE POOR
      Vast areas of land in poor countries are used for cash crops or for cattle
      ranching, or to grow grain to feed animals to be eaten in the West.
      This isat the expense of local food needs. McDonald's continually promote
      meat
      products, encouraging people to eat meat more often, which wastes more and
      more food resources. 7 million tons of grain fed to livestock produces
      only 1 million tons of meat and by-products. On a plant-based diet and
      with
      land shared fairly, almost every region could be self-sufficient in food.

      DAMAGING THE ENVIRONMENT
      Forests throughout the world - vital for all life - are being destroyed at
      an appalling rate by multinational companies. McDonald's have at last
      been forced to admit to using beef reared on ex-rainforest land,
      preventing its
      regeneration. Also, the use of farmland by multinationals and their
      suppliers forces local people to move on to other areas and cut down
      further trees.
      McDonald's are the world's largest user of beef. Methane emitted by
      cattle reared for the beef industry is a major contributor to the 'global
      warming' crisis. Modern intensive agriculture is based on the heavy use
      of
      chemicals which are damaging to the environment.
      Every year McDonald's use thousands of tons of unnecessary packaging, most
      of which ends up littering our streets or polluting the land buried in
      landfill sites.

      MURDERING ANIMALS
      The menus of the burger chains are based on the torture and murder of
      millions of animals. Most are intensively farmed, with no access to fresh
      air and sunshine, and no freedom of movement. Their deaths are barbaric -
      'humane slaughter' is a myth. We have the choice to eat meat or not, but
      the billions of animals massacred for food each year have no choice at
      all.

      CENSORSHIP and McLIBEL
      Criticism of McDonald's has come from a huge number of people and
      organisations over a wide range of issues. In the mid-1980's, London
      Greenpeace drew together many of those strands of criticism and called for
      an annual World Day of Action against McDonald's. This takes place every
      year on 16th October, with pickets and demonstrations all over the world.
      McDonald's, who spend a fortune every year on advertising, tried and
      failed to silence world-wide criticism by threatening legal action. Many
      were forced
      to back down because they lacked the money to fight a case. But Helen
      Steel and Dave Morris, two supporters of London Greenpeace, defended
      themselves in a major UK High Court libel trial. Despite all the cards
      being stacked
      against them, denied Legal Aid and a jury trial, Helen and Dave turned the
      tables and exposed the truth by putting McDonald's business practices on
      trial. Some damning judgments were made against McDonald's and protests
      against the $40 billion a year fast-food giant continue to grow. It's
      vital to stand up to intimidation and to defend free speech.

      WHAT YOU CAN DO - Together we can fight back against the institutions and
      the people in power who dominate our lives and our planet, and we can
      create a better society without exploitation. Workers can and do organise
      together to fight for their rights and dignity. People are increasingly
      aware of
      the need to think seriously about the food we and our children eat.
      People in
      poor countries are organising themselves to stand up to multinationals and
      banks which dominate the world's economy. Environmental and animal rights
      protests and campaigns are growing everywhere. Why not join in the
      struggle for a better world. Talk to friends and family, neighbours and
      workmates
      about these issues. Please copy and circulate this leaflet as widely as
      you can.

      Further information: www.mcspotlight.org
    • Glenn Williamson
      Message 253 of 253 , Sep 7, 2001
        Fred and all,

        I understand the need for information as it relates to IWAR, but I do not
        see how a story that pertains to billions of burgers served at
        establishments throughout the world involves IWAR. I may be wrong, but what
        one perceives as IWAR now encompasses burger joints and how they get their
        product to market. I am not in agreement with certain companies and the way
        they conduct business, but does it relate to IWAR, unless by generating this
        information across communication channels, one considers it Information
        Warfare and gaining support for Anti-McDonald's Day.

        Ok, that was my 2 cents, I will not say they are right, no offence to
        Mcd's but there will always be people who protest. Does it = IWAR or
        Information Propaganda.

        Glenn Williamson

        CALL FOR ACTION ON TUESDAY OCTOBER 16th - WORLDWIDE ANTI-McDONALD'S DAY