news

    Message 1 of 253 , Apr 20, 2001
      Crackers Expand Private War As China and the United States attempt to
      peacefully end their diplomatic standoff sparked by the mid-air
      collision between a U.S. spy plane and a Chinese fighter jet, crackers
      from both countries continue to wage private wars on the Internet.
      American cracker group PoizonBOx has defaced at least a hundred Chinese
      websites since April 4. Chinese hackers are now vowing to retaliate
      with a planned week-long all-out crack attack on American websites and
      networks which will start on May 1.

      Computer crime investigators engage in war on cyber threats The Air
      Force Office of Special Investigations fields a team of 48 specially
      trained agents to ward off hackers, thwart computer criminals, and
      detect cyber terrorists. They are called computer crime investigators,
      or CCIs, and escalating threats from the cyber world keep them on their
      toes. Probes and scans of Air Force computers from foreign locations
      alone number in the millions per year. The need for vigilance against
      such threats is clearly demonstrated by the damage caused to the Air
      Force by last year's "I Love You" computer virus:
      -- Number of users executing the virus: 7,418
      -- Number of servers offline: 1,065
      -- Average downtime: 32 hours
      -- Total cost: $3,174,427
      http://www.af.mil/news/Apr2001/n20010418_0528.shtml

      White House shamed by poor e-security At least 155 US Government
      computer systems were temporarily taken over by hackers last year,
      according to a Government review. But security consultant Neil Barrett
      said he was surprised it was such a small number. "Government systems
      are often bought in bulk and installed to the same recipe. Finding a
      flaw and taking over one allows you to take over others easily," he
      said. A Congress subcommittee heard that very few federal agencies had
      complied with security regulations to check the integrity of their
      defences, leaving them vulnerable to malicious attacks. Barrett
      explained that the lengthy government procurement process means that
      government agencies install systems that are "past their best".
      http://thebusiness.vnunet.com/News/1120647

      EDS new cyber security unit rated by U.S. govt Electronic Data Systems
      Corp's new cyber security unit has received a rating from the U.S.
      government which permits EDS to assess the protection of critical
      government information, EDS said in a statement. In an interview with
      AFX News, the head of EDS' new Global Information Assurance Services
      unit, Shakil Kidwai, said the company is one of only two groups in the
      U.S. to have gained the rating, and that it is likely to prove
      effective in negotiations for new contracts in the private sector.
      http://63.108.181.201/2001/04/18/COM/0003-1978-PRD.USA.CMP..html
    • Glenn Williamson
      Message 253 of 253 , Sep 7, 2001
        Fred and all,

        I understand the need for information as it relates to IWAR, but I do not
        see how a story that pertains to billions of burgers served at
        establishments throughout the world involves IWAR. I may be wrong, but what
        one perceives as IWAR now encompasses burger joints and how they get their
        product to market. I am not in agreement with certain companies and the way
        they conduct business, but does it relate to IWAR, unless by generating this
        information across communication channels, one considers it Information
        Warfare and gaining support for Anti-McDonald's Day.

        Ok, that was my 2 cents, I will not say they are right, no offence to
        Mcd's but there will always be people who protest. Does it = IWAR or
        Information Propaganda.

        Glenn Williamson