news

    Message 1 of 253 , Apr 18, 2001
      FBI Confirms Chinese Attacks on U.S. Web Sites The Federal Bureau of
      Investigation (FBI) on Monday confirmed past hack attacks on several
      U.S. Web sites, and said that perhaps several more have been
      perpetrated by Chinese hacktivists protesting U.S. actions in the
      recently-ended spy plane crisis. Although the FBI declined to offer
      specific details about the hacked sites, news sources have learned that
      hackers have defaced two U.S. Navy sites, neither of them classified,
      and two e-businesses that don't appear to have any connection to the
      crisis.

      http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/9028.html
      http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/04/16/china.hacking/index.html

      The never ending China-US saga The apology has been accepted, the
      hostages returned, but it will be a long, long time before we hear the
      end of this story. Hackers on both sides of the Pacific will ensure
      that tensions stay high. To date nine American sites have been defaced
      in retaliation for the downing of a Chinese fighter plane and the
      subsequent loss of its pilot. While the FBI are not openly holding the
      Chinese responsible for the hacks, the Washington Post is making it
      quite clear whom they believe is to blame. The Chinese are seen as a
      frightening bunch, embodying a deadly combination -- nationalism and
      technology. On the Chinese side, the People's Daily is furious at what
      it sees as underhanded maneuvering on the part of the Americans who have
      sent arms to Taiwan.
      http://www.securitywatch.com/newsforward/default.asp?AID=7036

      Anti-Hacking premiums 25% higher for Win NT An insurance policy against
      hacker-inflicted damage costs 25 per cent more for companies using
      Windows NT. This is because "there are so many security holes in
      Microsoft products", John Wurzler, of Wurzler underwriting managers,
      told us today. Wurzler's stance could be a little unfair - security is
      far more dependent on how well the infrastructure is designed and set up
      rather than the products used to build it, we argued. Wurzler concedes
      this point but says his company has to charge premiums based on an
      insured organisation's turnover, the probability of an attack and the
      chances of success of an attack.

      The Spy Who Lost Me British intelligence officers have developed a
      rather worrying tendency of forgetting that they are carrying a
      computer, leaving a trail littered with lost laptops. The British
      Defense Ministry has reported 205 laptops missing since 1997 -- most of
      which contained classified information. That's an average of 51 lost
      laptops per year. The latest was reported missing on Monday. This one
      reportedly contained data about new weapons systems. Its owner left it
      in the back of a taxi. To combat this spate of missing-in-action
      machines, the Defense Ministry plans to outfit their absent-minded
      workers with secret-agent- style briefcases that protect national
      secrets by automatically destroying the contents of lost laptops' hard
      drives.
    • Glenn Williamson
      Message 253 of 253 , Sep 7, 2001
        Fred and all,

        I understand the need for information as it relates to IWAR, but I do not
        see how a story that pertains to billions of burgers served at
        establishments throughout the world involves IWAR. I may be wrong, but what
        one perceives as IWAR now encompasses burger joints and how they get their
        product to market. I am not in agreement with certain companies and the way
        they conduct business, but does it relate to IWAR, unless by generating this
        information across communication channels, one considers it Information
        Warfare and gaining support for Anti-McDonald's Day.

        Ok, that was my 2 cents, I will not say they are right, no offence to
        Mcd's but there will always be people who protest. Does it = IWAR or
        Information Propaganda.

        Glenn Williamson