news

    Message 1 of 253 , Apr 12, 2001
      A Chinese Call to Hack U.S. Chinese crackers are being encouraged to
      "hack the USA" in retaliation for the mid-air collision between a U.S.
      spy plane and a Chinese fighter jet which claimed the life of a Chinese
      pilot. Websites such as KillUSA.com and Sohu are filled with messages
      pointing to proposed cracking targets such as the United States' Defense
      Technical Information Center and the Defense Department's news site,
      along with encouragement to "Hack it Great Chinese!!!" But despite all
      the calls for cyber-retaliation, the only incident that can be
      officially connected with the standoff is a crack of an obscure U.S.
      Navy website. http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,42982,00.html

      DOD creates cybercrimes position The Defense Department has created a
      senior executive service position to oversee its computer forensics
      laboratory and investigator training program. The 30-day Office of
      Personnel and Management notice for an executive director of the Defense
      Cybercrimes Center will come out within a week, said Brig. Gen.
      Francis Taylor, commanding general of the Air Force Office of Special
      Investigations. In supervising as many as 80 employees and a $12.5
      million budget, the director will lay out a long-term strategy for the
      center, including how to best serve nearly 3,800 DOD law enforcement
      special agents who take courses with the Department of Defense Computer
      Investigations Training Program and send materials to the Air Force=92s
      forensics lab for examination, he said.
      http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2001/0409/web-cyber-04-10-01.asp

      FSB: U.S. Tried to Recruit Hacker Staff Writer The Federal Security
      Service said Tuesday that intelligence officers at the U.S. Embassy in
      Moscow tried to recruit a young Russian hacker to try to break into its
      computer network. While declining to provide details, an FSB officer
      confirmed a report by the Moskovsky Komsomolets newspaper Tuesday that
      said the 20-year- old hacker was offered $10,000 to hack into the FSB
      network in January, but he changed his mind after a sleepless night and
      turned himself in. The U.S. Embassy declined to comment on the
      allegation. The alleged recruitment attempt comes as Russia and the
      United States are embroiled in a spying scandal that kicked off in
      February when the FBI charged veteran agent Robert Philip Hanssen with
      spying for Russia. Then in March, the United States threatened to expel
      50 Russian diplomats for espionage. Russia said it would respond in
      kind.
      http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2001/04/11/013.html

      Fear of a Hacked Planet A new cure for cybercrime may be worse than the
      disease. Uncle Sam subjects new drugs to thorough scrutiny before
      approving them. Were he equally careful with new laws, people wouldn't
      wonder whether his top hat and beard conceal Big Brother underneath. At
      issue: the Council of Europe's Cybercrime Convention, which, said former
      deputy associate attorney general Ethan M. Posner during congressional
      testimony in May 2000, "will define cybercrime offenses and address such
      topics as jurisdiction, international cooperation, and search and
      seizure." Not to mention threatening the rights of individuals and
      businesses worldwide, according to numerous opposition groups including
      the American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Democracy &
      Technology, or CDT. To date, the U.S. Department of Justice has been
      supportive of the Cybercrime Convention as a means to better address the
      global dimension of cybercrime. If deliberations can be concluded by
      June 2001 as planned, then the international treaty will be open to
      ratification by all countries, including the United States.
      http://msn.zdnet.com/msn/zdnet/story/0%2C12461%2C2701068-hud00025hm3%2C00.html

      RSA show pushes for global Web patrol If a Web site in Israel breaks
      Italian laws, does the Italian Supreme Court have the right to shut it
      down? Or if a U.S. site sells Nazi material on a site that could be
      accessed by French citizens, does a French court have the right to ban
      them from doing so? The answer so far in both of those cases, it would
      appear, is yes. As more people jump online worldwide, the number of
      cybercases involving cross-border jurisdiction is rapidly increasing,
      but the methods of resolving such disputes are far from
      consistent--partly because the languages, cultures and laws of the
      countries involved can be so radically different, according to panelists
      here at the RSA Conference 2001.
      http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5567003.html

      The Hacker Did Us a Favor "CyberCrime's" cohost asks if hackers help
      make the Internet more secure. I am sitting in Edwin Gould's living
      room motioning with my hands for him to stop talking. I glance over at
      the audio technician, who's rolling his eyes as we stop the interview
      for the third time in as many minutes and wait for a bus to pass. It is
      a challenging interview, not only because of the bus stop stationed on
      the street just outside the living room, but because Gould is not what I
      expected. Although I had spoken to him over the phone prior to our
      interview, I was not fully prepared for what he had to say. Here was an
      older American, victimized by a hacker who wanted to expose security
      holes in the University of Washington Medical Center patient database.
      Gould's name and address were exposed, along with his social security
      number, date of birth, hospital number, and the name of his doctor.
      http://www.techtv.com/cybercrime/privacy/story/0,23008,3321343,00.html
    • Glenn Williamson
      Message 253 of 253 , Sep 7, 2001
        Fred and all,

        I understand the need for information as it relates to IWAR, but I do not
        see how a story that pertains to billions of burgers served at
        establishments throughout the world involves IWAR. I may be wrong, but what
        one perceives as IWAR now encompasses burger joints and how they get their
        product to market. I am not in agreement with certain companies and the way
        they conduct business, but does it relate to IWAR, unless by generating this
        information across communication channels, one considers it Information
        Warfare and gaining support for Anti-McDonald's Day.

        Ok, that was my 2 cents, I will not say they are right, no offence to
        Mcd's but there will always be people who protest. Does it = IWAR or
        Information Propaganda.

        Glenn Williamson