news

    Message 1 of 253 , Apr 2, 2001
      Air incident sparks China chat attack National outrage splashes across
      Chinese media China's state media and online chatrooms have launched a
      nationalistic attack on the U.S. over the collision of military
      aircraft from both countries. Most Chinese learned of the drama on
      popular websites such as the People's Daily and Sina.com on Monday; some
      say they spotted the reports on some English-language sites. An
      Internet manager in Beijing told CNN that her colleagues were "furious"
      at the U.S. for failing to mention a word on the missing Chinese pilot.
      Beijing's top official outlet, the People's Daily, devoted one fifth of
      its homepage headlines to issues about the U.S. military. A report
      demanding U.S. compensation was headlined "Net friends: Look at
      American hegemonism from the incident that U.S. plane crashed our
      military jet".
      http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/east/04/02/china.crash.chat/

      [FC - I am thinking seriously about issuing a warning about possible
      upcoming information warfare or intentional information attacks from
      China against the US. I believe that the increase in tensions between
      the US and China combined with the declared information warfare doctrine
      of the Chinese will likely generate some level of serious information
      warfare exchanges between the US and China within the next 6 weeks if
      the tensions continue to increase in this region. Since the US has so
      much more dependency, it is likely that the US will be more impacted by
      any exchange in this arena, But then, what do I know?]

      Mass Victimization Net Crime Not Far Off - Gartner

      Mass victimization crime, or online theft from thousands of people
      simultaneously by one individual, is less than two years away and the
      perpetrator will probably get away with it, researchers predict. Such
      global online theft is inevitable via converging technologies and poorly
      equipped international law enforcement authorities, according to Gartner
      Inc. "Using mundane, readily available technologies that have already
      been deployed by both legitimate and illegitimate businesses,
      cybercriminals can now surreptitiously steal millions of dollars, a few
      dollars at a time, from millions of individuals simultaneously," Gartner
      Research Fellow Richard Hunter said in a news release. "Moreover, they
      are very likely to get away with the crime." The cost of mass
      victimization crimes will increase at a staggering rate, Gartner said,
      predicting a 1,000 percent to 10,000 percent rise through 2004.

      http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/163928.html

      New cloaked-code threat to security A new technique for disguising
      programs aimed at cracking corporate networks could raise the stakes in
      the heated battle between hackers and security experts. During a
      seminar last week at the CanSecWest conference in Vancouver, British
      Columbia, a hacker named "K2" revealed a program he created that can
      camouflage the tiny programs that hackers generally use to crack through
      system security. The cloaking technique is aimed at foiling the
      pattern-recognition intelligence used by many intrusion detection
      systems, or IDSes, known as the burglar alarms of the Internet. "Trust
      me, this will blow away any pattern matching," said K2, who would not
      reveal his real name because he also works as a security consultant.
      When a security hole is found on a corporate network, hackers usually
      will find several ways to exploit it. To manage the onslaught, the
      makers of intrusion detection systems continually update their own
      software to keep track of new variants of an already familiar theme.

      http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5080532,00.html
      http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5423454.html

      Defense told to improve computer security coordination The Defense
      Department=92s ability to prevent, detect and respond to cyberattacks is
      getting better, but military officials still face numerous security
      challenges, the General Accounting Office concludes in a new report.
      Defense has set up numerous computer emergency response teams and
      communication methods for alerting systems administrators to security
      problems and solutions. Every day, Defense identifies thousands of
      intrusions into computer systems and other problems. In 1999, the Air
      Force, Army and Navy reported a total of 600 attacks. That number grew
      to 715 in 2000.

      http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0401/040201j1.htm

      House Reintroduces Federal Computer Security Measure House lawmakers
      have reintroduced legislation that would require the National Institute
      of Science and Technology (NIST) to serve as a computer security
      consultant for other federal civilian agencies. Introduced by Rep.
      Connie Morella, R-Md., H.R. 1259 would establish NIST as the lead
      agency in computer security matters. In that role, NIST would advise
      agencies on what "off-the-shelf" computer security products met with the
      government's approval. The bill also requires the Under Secretary of
      Commerce to establish a database on computer security threats and to
      make that list available to the public. The bill is nearly identical
      the Computer Security Enhancement Act, legislation offered by former
      House Science Committee Chairman James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., in
      response to growing concerns about hacker attacks on federal agencies.
      While the measure passed the House by a voice vote late last year, it
      never got off the ground in the Senate.

      http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/163963.html
    • Glenn Williamson
      Message 253 of 253 , Sep 7 5:31 PM
        Fred and all,

        I understand the need for information as it relates to IWAR, but I do not
        see how a story that pertains to billions of burgers served at
        establishments throughout the world involves IWAR. I may be wrong, but what
        one perceives as IWAR now encompasses burger joints and how they get their
        product to market. I am not in agreement with certain companies and the way
        they conduct business, but does it relate to IWAR, unless by generating this
        information across communication channels, one considers it Information
        Warfare and gaining support for Anti-McDonald's Day.

        Ok, that was my 2 cents, I will not say they are right, no offence to
        Mcd's but there will always be people who protest. Does it = IWAR or
        Information Propaganda.

        Glenn Williamson