interesting

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2001
      Wry bye: We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. -- Edward R. Murrow

      DoD vs. State? "Two competing foreign policy camps are emerging in the Bush
      administration -- an ideologically conservative Pentagon and a more moderate
      State Department -- which have already provided President Bush conflicting
      advice on central issues," says the New York Times.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/27/world/27DIPL.html?searchpv=nytToday

      More on foreign policy: The Los Angeles Times adds to that argument by
      asserting that "America's foreign policy community is increasingly anxious
      about the Bush administration's abrupt, tough-guy approach to several of the
      key challenges facing the United States. Many also charge that Washington
      may jeopardize key initiatives that are shaping the post-Cold War era."
      http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/whitehouse/lat_fornpol010327.htm

      Chinese say US woman a spy: China accused a detained US-based Chinese
      scholar, Gao Zhan, of "acting as a paid spy for overseas intelligence
      agencies," says Reuters, "adding a serious new dimension to a case that has
      irritated ties with Washington."
      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010327/ts/china_scholar_dc_4.html

      NKorea accuses US: North Korea accused the United States today of planting
      "a time bomb" in their fragile relations and escalating tensions on the
      divided Korean peninsula as a prelude to war, says AP.
      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010327/wl/nkorea_us_1.html

      Infrastructure quandary: Citing national security, the Environmental
      Protection Agency has rescinded a Clinton administration proposal to
      increase public access to information about worst-case consequences of
      chemical plant accidents, says the New York Times. Releasing the info would
      "help communities prepare for disasters like industrial explosions. But ...
      the information ... could be used by terrorists to plot attacks."
      http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/27/politics/27ACCI.html

      Mole hunting: The US counterintelligence community is searching frantically
      for one or more US government employees allegedly recruited by the Russian
      intelligence service or SVR, says UPI.
      http://www.vny.com/cf/News/upidetail.cfm?QID=171573

      ObL as 'mafia don': Gen. Henry Shelton, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
      Staff, compares Osama bid Laden's organization to an international mafia,
      warning "the US military must be prepared to fight terrorism as well as
      war," says UPI.
      http://www.vny.com/cf/News/upidetail.cfm?QID=171556

      'Heat gun' controversy: Inside The Navy reports that questions linger about
      the health effects of DoD's "non-lethal" gun capable of controlling crowds
      by heating people's skin with millimeter waves. The Marine Corps and Air
      Force officials said the beam would be painful but "harmless." But "recent
      Air Force research on the biological effects of millimeter waves (MMWs)
      concludes there are potential health concerns."

      New worm eats Linux: Some hacker-generated software named Lion is infecting
      Linux servers via the Internet, "opening the door to devastating attacks,"
      says UPI. (SNL computers are protected, but a Linux system at home may not
      be.)
      http://www.vny.com/cf/News/upidetail.cfm?QID=171614
    • Tony Bartoletti
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2001
        >'Heat gun' controversy: Inside The Navy reports that questions linger about
        >the health effects of DoD's "non-lethal" gun capable of controlling crowds
        >by heating people's skin with millimeter waves. The Marine Corps and Air
        >Force officials said the beam would be painful but "harmless." But "recent
        >Air Force research on the biological effects of millimeter waves (MMWs)
        >concludes there are potential health concerns."

        OK people, phasers on stun ... Wait! He's got a disruptor!

        ___tony___

        Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@...>
        Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
        Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
        Livermore, CA 94551-9900
      • Glenn Williamson
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29, 2001
          ALL,

          Wait I have to pull out Winn's (Herf Gun)(CyberShock)(DefCon) and cover you
          all prior to going back into protocol's and my way of dealing with crowded
          bandwidth.

          Glenn