Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: [iwar] interesting pointer

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2001
      Per the message sent by Markus Spindler:

      > Did the involved parties do their homework?
      > What do (or should) they want to achieve, and do they succeed?
      > Obviously, right now the Japanese handle the situation much
      > to their advantage. Has anybody a guess on the next moves
      > of the Navy? Of the Japanese?

      I kind of thought the submarine might have popped up intentionally to
      make it clear to the Japanes that this is not considered acceptable
      behavior. I see you...

      So they stiff the captain and pay some $s (the cost of a normal boat -
      not the cost of an intelligence gathering vessel) and pulicly
      appologize. It's nothing compared to the impact on the Japanese and
      others on trying to be stealthy and follow US submarines. In the back
      channel, they explain that the next time the ship will simply disappear
      without explanation.

      Even if the whole thing was a mistake by the sub captain, they can still
      play like it wasn't - to the same effect.

      Other views solicited...

      FC
      --
      Fred Cohen at Sandia National Laboratories at tel:925-294-2087 fax:925-294-1225
      Fred Cohen & Associates: http://all.net - fc@... - tel/fax:925-454-0171