785RE: [iwar] The Middle East InfoWar Conflict - Update

  • St. Clair, James
    Dec 8, 2000
      We may be missing the forest from the trees. While website defacement may be
      "kid's stuff" and not meet whatever definition of Info War we use, there are
      several important conceptual points, IMHO:

      1) The forces regard "cyberspace" now as an effective medium to conduct
      conflict.
      2) These websites are still physically hosted on webservers, some of which
      are third party and may be hosting non-affiliated services.
      3) These "games" are getting more sophisticated in concept, and it is
      warfare that truly prompts developing new weapons anyway.
      4) Increasing dependence on ISPs for application services, infrastructure
      management, and e-commerce means the same boxes vulnerable to web
      defacements or DDoS attacks also carries financial transactions - that means
      someone loses money.

      - Jim