(US-ca) I eat no meat: Dissection infection

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2006
      [opinion from Lumberjack Online]

      I may not eat meat, but apparently I have to witness rotting carcasses.

      About three weeks ago, in front of science-C, I saw students from the
      marine mammals class dissecting a seal right outside the front door of
      the building. I thought it was a little weird, but I ignored it for
      the sake of science.

      One week later, in the same spot, I discovered the seal again. But now
      it was fully dissected and rotting outside. The smell was just about
      as bad as the sight, and the flies were a swarmin'.

      It was probably the most disgusting thing I had ever seen, and I
      certainly didn't appreciate that it was in plain view of the public
      eye.

      Milton Boyd, the chair of the biological sciences department said it
      is common for the department to receive animals that wash up on shore
      and are already dead, and that HSU has a permit that allows for their
      dissection.
      A large portion of the vegan lifestle is about the protection of
      animal rights, hence the concerns about killing thousands of frogs,
      cats, and pig fetuses.

      In California, a law passed in 1988 stated that any pupil who has a
      moral opposition to the dissecting, harming or destruction of animals
      has the right to notify his or her instructor of the objection.

      If the teacher sees fit, he or she can provide the pupil with an
      alternative lesson, such as a computer program. The alternative
      assignment should require the same time and effort as the dissection,
      no more and no less, and the pupil should not be discriminated.

      If a computer program can be just as effective as the real thing, then
      it should not be the alternative, but the method of choice.
      The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires that all new
      chemical products be tested. "Many of these tests are performed on
      animals, in which the unfortunate creatures are forced to ingest or
      inhale such products as weed-killers, oven cleaners, cosmetics and
      paint. For example, caustic chemicals may be forced into dogs' eyes or
      smeared into the raw, shaved heads of rabbits," according to the FDA
      Web site.
      So the next time you have to dissect a cat, pig, seal, frog or worm,
      or the next time you buy shampoo that rubbed was in the eyes of little
      bunnies, remember the pictures shown above.

      http://www2.humboldt.edu/~merge/modules.php?op=modload&name=PagEd&file=index&page_id=684

      More News Headlines -- RSS Feed!
      New Links -- Archive of 100 recent links!
      Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, Organizations, and Forums