(US-ut) Krishna Temple raising money for relief efforts

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2005
      Whenever the building is open, the Sri Sri Radha Krishna Temple on the
      southern edge of Spanish Fork has a buffet available for anyone who
      needs a meal.

      "That's basically our policy worldwide, that no one within 10 miles of
      our temple should go hungry," said temple vice president Caru Das.

      That policy is the reason the Hare Krishna Food for Life program
      distributes meals to people who need it. While the organization brings
      meals to people every day of the year, the number of Hurricane Katrina
      victims needing food has caused an surge in the services. Das said the
      temple in Spanish Fork is raising money to send to the national
      organization and will match every dollar it receives until the
      Festival of India Sept. 17.
      About $500 have been raised since Monday, when the program was
      started. Das hopes to raise several thousand dollars, which is about
      what they raised for the tsunami in Southeast Asia last year and the
      Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in New York City.

      Paul Turner, director of Food for Life, said volunteers were in
      affected areas a few hours after the hurricane hit, distributing hot,
      freshly cooked vegetarian meals to anyone who needed them.

      "This is normal for us," he said. "We immediately went into action as
      soon as possible."

      The vegetarian meals are part of the Hare Krishna's belief system, but
      there are more practical reasons as well -- the meatless dishes are
      healthier and less expensive, so more people can eat for less.

      http://www.newutah.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=63764

      [Hurricane Katrina -- http://www.animalconcerns.org/ -- do a search
      for "Katrina" -- nearly 90 links to Resources, News, Blogs on
      Animalconcerns]

      More News Headlines -- RSS Feed!
      New Links -- Archive of 100 recent links!
      Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, Organizations, and Forums
      Search for the item on Animalconcerns.org!