(US-wi) Meatless technicality foils record at Brat Fest

  • Animalconcerns Community
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2005
      If it's not meat, is it a brat?

      A record depends on the answer.

      Last weekend, Boca brand vegetarian brats were sold for the first time
      at the World's Largest Brat Fest, but the meatless sausages were not
      included in the final count of 181,710 brats sold during the Memorial
      Day weekend event.

      More than 8,600 Boca brats were sold, but organizer Tim Metcalfe said
      the Boca brats will not be recognized as an official brat in the final
      count, meaning fest sales fell short of last year's record of 189,432.

      The definition of a bratwurst is a "pork sausage with seasoning,"
      Metcalfe said, so the Boca brats cannot be "technically" classified as
      a brat.
      "If you want to call them sausages, we sold a lot of them," Metcalfe
      said. "We'll let the vegans and the brat lovers get together and
      between the both of them, we think they both set a record . . . but
      for all the years, we've been just counting brats."
      ... Those who eschew meat could sample "Tofurky" brand sausages made
      from soy. The "other" brat fest was Saturday at Whole Foods Market,
      3313 University Ave., where the Alliance for Animals provided the soy
      sausages free.

      http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/index.php?ntid=41974&ntpid=2

      -----
      http://www.animalconcerns.org/ - More News Headlines (RSS Feed),
      Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, Organizations, and Forums (discussion
      boards), ! Try searching for the news item on Animalconcerns.org!