Edmonton school may ban sale of milk

  • Dave Shishkoff
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 3:00 PM
      http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2005/05/31/alberta-milk050531

      Edmonton school may ban sale of milk
      Last Updated Tue, 31 May 2005 13:44:45
      EDMONTON - An Edmonton-area elementary school is looking at temporarily
      banning the sale of milk because of the allergies of two students.

      Jerry Zimmer, superintendent of the Catholic board, said the students have
      potentially fatal dairy allergies and the board recommended stopping the
      milk program to protect them.

      The other 400 or so students would still be allowed to bring milk to school,
      but wouldn't be able to buy it.

      "On many agendas, the suggestion is that we should try to sponsor healthier
      alternatives for our students, which of course we are balancing that with,"
      said Zimmer. "But what if one of those health alternatives could threaten
      the well-being of some of the students in the school? So that's the
      complexity of this issue, for sure."

      The sale of milk would resume once the children with allergies have moved on
      from the school.

      The move is being criticized by some parents whose children attend Ecole
      Marie Poburan in St. Albert, about eight kilometres northwest of Edmonton.

      Angie Dea said there could be a number of ramifications if the school takes
      away its milk program.

      "We've had peanuts already, then you've got to look at shellfish,
      strawberries, any other type of allergen, celiac children with wheat . all
      those different things," said Dea.

      Dea says she understands the need to protect the children who are allergic
      to milk, but she hopes it can be done another way.

      Zimmer says the board will review its options Monday night, to see if there
      is another alternative, but compared the recommendation to banning peanuts
      from schools.

      "The other issue that we have to be clear about is could we rationalize,
      under any circumstance, sponsoring a known allergen in the school?" he said.

      "So, if you want to use an analogy, if we knew that we have students that
      have peanut allergies in the school, would it make sense for the school to
      sponsor, on a daily basis, peanut butter sandwiches for students?"

      Many schools ban peanuts from the facilities, going so far as to not allow
      other students to bring in peanut butter, to protect children with
      allergies.