(US-fl) Army reservist witnesses war crimes

  • Animalconcerns Community
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      April 1, 2005—Aiden Delgado, an Army Reservist in the 320th Military
      Police Company, served in Iraq from April 1, 2003 through April 1,
      2004. After spending six months in Nasiriyah in Southern Iraq, he
      spent six months helping to run the now-infamous Abu Ghraib prison
      outside of Baghdad. The handsome 23-year-old mechanic was a witness to
      widespread, almost daily, U.S. war crimes in Iraq. His story contains
      new revelations about ongoing brutality at Abu Ghraib, information yet
      to be reported in national media.
      After he joined the Army, Delgado began to read the Sutras. He became
      a Buddhist, a vegetarian, and eventually became a Conscientious
      Objector. Delgado was honorably discharged when he returned home.
      Delgado earned four service medals which, he says, are standard
      awards. He faced criticism from the Army when he began to speak out
      about military conduct in Iraq. Don Schwartz, spokesman for the Army
      in Washington, D.C., said that Delgado should have reported any
      wrongdoing to Army personnel. "He should have reported first to his
      boss, his commander. That is the standard way the chain of command
      works."
      Q: You enlisted in the Army Reserve in good faith. Now you are a
      conscientious objector. Once in the Army Reserve, how did you become a
      C.O.?

      DELGADO: After advanced training, I became serious about Buddhism. I
      read translations of the Sutras. I became a vegetarian. Later, when I
      met Iraqi prisoners firsthand, I saw the people who were supposed to
      be our enemies. I did not feel any hatred for them. They were young,
      poor guys without an education, like us. They had to fight us. And our
      guys were the same; they had to fight them. And I said: "What am I
      doing here, fighting poor people?" I went to my commander, turned in
      my rifle, and said; "Look, I will stay in Iraq. I will finish my tour
      as a mechanic. I will do my job, but I am not going to kill anyone."

      http://www.onlinejournal.com/Special_Reports/040105Rockwell/040105rockwell.html

      -----
      AnimalConcerns.org: Forums (discussion boards), More News Headlines,
      Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, and Organizations! Try searching for the
      news item on Animalconcerns! http://www.animalconcerns.org/