Emergency Appeal for Tsunami Relief

  • FARM
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      FARM Campaign UpdateFriends,

      As we celebrate the advent of the new year, millions of tsunami victims in India, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and Thailand have been deprived of basic shelter, food, and drinking water by the greatest natural disaster in recent history. The unfathomable loss of lives incurred thus far and the looming pandemic of infectious diseases stagger the imagination.

      Unlike our government, individual Americans have responded generously through donations to large relief organizations like Oxfam, CARE, World Vision, American Red Cross, UNICEF, and Save the Children. Although every donation helps to relieve the misery, we find it more cost-effective to bypass these large bureaucracies and deal directly with people engaged in the relief effort on the ground.

      The Indian vegetarian grassroots coalitions that we support through the Sabina Fund (www.SabinaFund.org) are located in Tamil Nadu, where 8,000 people have been killed and 1.5 million displaced. They represent 80 local groups. Most are currently engaged in relief work and have appealed to us for extra financial help. We are wiring them $1,000 this afternoon, but we would like to send them 80 times that.

      Please help relieve this global tragedy by making a generous donation to FARM's Emergency Relief Appeal by:
      @ Giving online (select Sabina Fund as the program to support);
      @ Calling 1-888-ASK-FARM with your credit card information; or
      @ Mailing your contribution to: FARM's Emergency Relief Appeal | 10101 Ashburton Lane | Bethesda, MD 20817.

      The Tamil Nadu coalitions supported by the Sabina Fund are listed below. For photos of their vegetarian promotional activities, please visit www.SabinaFund.org.