USA: Bush declares National Fishing and Boating Week, 2002

  • Pamela Rice
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2002
      For Immediate Release
      Office of the Press Secretary
      May 31, 2002

      National Fishing and Boating Week, 2002
      By the President of the United States of America
      A Proclamation

      Our Nation's landscape contains thousands of bodies of water that
      offer endless opportunities for recreational boating and fishing.
      Every year, millions of Americans, including me, look forward to
      enjoying these popular pastimes.

      In addition to providing opportunities for recreation, fishing and
      boating play important roles in our Nation's economy. They support
      thousands of American jobs and generate millions of dollars that go
      directly back to protecting and conserving resources at the local
      level. Since 1950, State fish and wildlife agencies have received
      nearly $4 billion through the Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration
      Act. These funds have helped to purchase over 322,000 acres for
      boating, fishing and fish production, and research. In addition,
      funding has been used to help educate the public about fish and their
      habitats. These measures enhance the quality of life for people of
      all ages and continue a vital legacy of environmental stewardship.

      NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of
      America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution
      and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2 through June
      8, 2002, as National Fishing and Boating Week. During this week, I
      encourage people of the United States to participate in the thousands
      of local events scheduled in communities throughout the United
      States, offering hands-on opportunities for families and friends to
      share in these recreational activities.

      IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirty-first day
      of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand two, and of the
      Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and
      twenty-sixth.

      GEORGE W. BUSH

      # # #

      Return to this article at: