(US-ky) The young and the meatless

  • animalconcerns@fastmail.us
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      Like many teens, Laura White is a vegetarian. Like many students who
      choose vegetarianism, Laura is earnest, serious, concerned and
      committed.

      But unlike many of the 1million school-age kids estimated to have sworn
      off meat, Laura actually likes vegetables and a wide range of food that
      teens need to be healthy.

      Laura, a vegetarian "on and off" since the third grade, takes
      vegetarianism one more step, avoiding all animal products, including
      leather. She is a "vegan."
      "But I heard that it was easy to become unhealthy on a vegan diet, and I
      wanted to avoid that. I found a good book, 'Becoming Vegan,' which
      alerted me to the nutrients often lacking in a vegan diet and what I
      could do to get protein, calcium and vitamin B-12."

      full story:
      http://www.courier-journal.com/features/2004/09/01/teenvegan.html
    • animalconcerns@fastmail.us
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004

        Your Portal to Animal Concerns Forum (discussion board), More News Headlines, Events, E-Mail Lists, Jobs, and Organizations! Try searching for the news item on Animalconcerns! http://www.animalconcerns.org/