US - Restaurant Chains, Too, Watch Their Carbs

  • Orville A Knudsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2004
      Restaurant Chains, Too, Watch Their Carbs
      http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/04/business/yourmoney/04carb.html?ex=1073797200&en=d18566ad50df30cd&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

      QUOTE:

      FOR many Americans, a new year means a diet, and in 2004, there is a good
      chance that it's a low-carbohydrate, high-protein one. More than 10
      million people are following a low-carb regimen like the Atkins diet, the
      Zone or the South Beach diet, according to the NPD Group, a market
      research company in Chicago.

      The high-protein crowd received an unexpected scare with the recent
      announcement that a cow in the United States was found to have mad cow
      disease. Depending on the extent of the problem, diets that encourage the
      consumption of red meat could become less popular. Seventy percent of
      Americans are expressing some concern about mad cow disease, according to
      a survey on food safety conducted in late December by NPD, which has been
      tracking food trends since 1980.

      "There is clearly great concern about this, but as for a change in
      behavior, I think that depends on how many cows get sick," said Harry
      Balzer, vice president of NPD. "If the bovine bonfires of Great Britain
      come to the United States, you'll see a significant drop in meat
      consumption. But if it is like Canada with only one cow, I don't think it
      will have a major impact."

      --
      http://www.waste.org/~oak/