(US) TV news reports of "vegans starving their baby"

  • Tony Shale
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      The following transcripts were provided by the free
      service tveyes.com

      FOX 5 NY -- FOX 5 10 O Clock News With John Roland,
      Rosanna Scotto & Nick Gregory

      WNYW 4/29/02 - 10:22 PM... newsroom with the details.
      >> Good evening to you. We're just getting information
      within the last hour about this story. A couple from
      queenville has been charged with reckless
      endangerment. And allegedly putting their 16-month-old
      daughter on a strict vegetarian diet. Investigators
      say it left their little girl, 16 months old, at half
      her normal weight and near death. Joseph and silva,
      have pleaded not guilty to the charge. They are still
      being held, we understand tonight. The child was
      recordly found ground nuts, herbal tee and squeezed
      juices but was never breast fed or given infant form
      l.A. The girl had no teeth no, muscle tone, and a
      distended belly. The child is now in foster care, has
      been for the last few months since november. We
      understand the child is now 20 months old. The parents
      have a may 13 court peern. This information just
      coming to us tonight. We'll have more as this story
      develops. Fox 5 news, back to you.

      -----

      FOX 5 NY -- Good Day New York First Edition With Lyn
      Brown

      WNYW 4/30/02 - 6:02 AM... >> A queens couple is in
      jail this morning for putting their new borp baby on a
      strict vegetarian diet. The little girl was starving
      when doctors finally saw the 16-month-old. The
      parents, the suspects, are accused of depriving the
      child of any kind of milk or formula. She was so
      severely malnourished four months later, she still has
      medical problems. Parents are due in court next month.

      -----

      ABC -- News

      WABC 4/30/02 - 6:04 AM... >> Well, this morning, a
      queens couple is behind bars of accused of nearly
      starving their young daughter to death with a
      vegetarian diet swinton both 21 of queens village are
      accused of reckless endangerment, endangering the
      welfare of their child the 16-year-old daughter was
      never breast fed nor given formula, weighed just ten
      pounds. The parents accuse of feeding the be about buy
      girl p ground nut, herbal tea, cod liver oil. Family
      and friends say they don't know if it is all ru. >> I
      never knew about them feeding their daughter those
      kinds of food. >> >> Authorities say the baby suffered
      severe muscle loss, multiple prac ture, no
      availability to verbize other than soft cry, an
      attorney for the couple says they are vegetarians
      thought they were taking proper care of the child. >>>
      This morning, new ground rules for any future
      investigations of child...

      -----

      CBS -- News With Lisa Hill, Michael Pomeranz and Ira
      Joe Fisher s Weather

      WCBS 4/30/02 - 6:06 AM... neglect and abuse. We take
      you behind the headlines to tell but the diet. A
      veegan is a person who doesn't eat any animal
      products. That means no meat, no seafood. The
      difference between a vegetarian and a vegan they don't
      eat dairy or eggs. They don't buy things like leather.

      -----

      FOX 5 NY -- FOX 5 Live With Mario Bosquez

      WNYW 4/30/02 - 11:33 AM... A queens couple faces
      seven years in jail for allegedly starving their
      15-month-old daughter. Joseph and silva swinton face
      three counts of child endangerment charges. Police say
      the parents kept their child on a strict vegan diet
      that led to severe malnutrition. The child is in the
      care of a foster family but said to be in poor health.

      -----

      NBC -- News

      WNBC 4/30/02 - 5:13 PM... >>> A startling case of
      alleged child abuse in queens. A couple is accused of
      starving their 15-month-old daughter. >> She had not
      received any baby formula nor had been breast-fed. She
      was on a strict vegan diet. >> I knew they were
      vegetarians, but i couldn't imagine anyone would go
      that extreme with such an infant. >> He was one of
      many in queens village shocked by the news that the
      parents living in this home had been arrested on
      charges of starving their child. Joseph and silva are
      strict vegetarians and fed their daughter a diet of
      nut, beans, juice, tea and various oils, no milk or
      formula. A diet pete trigs says lacked essential new
      tree epts. >> Iron, zinc, b-12. These are essential
      ingredients for normal growth in these children and
      the diet was deficient in all of these, actually. >>
      Act on an anonymous tip, city social workers came to
      the home last year. Authorities say what they found
      was a 16-month-old fwirl so tiny and underweight
      that...

      -----

      NBC -- News

      WNBC 4/30/02 - 5:15 PM... malnutrition, substantial
      developmental problems. >> I don't think they should
      be put in jail for that, though. I don't really think
      so. I don't think it was their fault exactly what
      happened. >> The doctor says ignorance is a major
      problem among new vegan parents. >> Children can
      thrive beautifully on the diets but they need to be
      guided and made into a complete diet.

      http://health.yahoo.com