USA: Vegetarian Goetz makes the gossip page, NY Times

  • Pamela Rice
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2003
      The New York Times
      October 3, 2003

      BOLDFACE NAMES
      Care for Another, Uh, Egg, Mr. Goetz?
      By JOYCE WADLER

      The entree at The Week magazine's political lunch was shrimp and
      avocado salad, which BERNARD GOETZ - who was wearing a T-shirt that
      read "Liberty and Justice for All" and showed animals being prepared
      for slaughter - didn't like one bit.

      Mr. Goetz disliked it so much, he told us at the lunch where the
      California governor's race was being discussed, that he put a little
      blue card on the salad reading "Love Animals, Don't Eat Them." Then
      he took the plate outside to show the photographers. And then he
      brought it back inside MICHAEL JORDAN's Steak House, and sent it to
      the kitchen.

      "Anything with a face, I don't eat," said Mr. Goetz, who tends to
      talk in run-on sentences, adding that he does eat eggs and milk,
      though he is not drinking as much milk as he used to, because it
      contains substances that may be carcinogenic and because it hurts the
      immune system.

      But you'll want to know about the serious matter at hand, the
      California governor's race, or as the panel was billed, "Is
      California Crazy?" This excited us so much, we showed up half an hour
      early to catch a bite with the panel moderator, HARRY EVANS, and the
      panelists TOM HAYDEN, BARRY GOLDWATER JR., RON "I AM NOT A JUNIOR"
      REAGAN and ED (USED TO WORK HERE) KLEIN. Mr. Hayden, formerly a
      California state senator and one of the Chicago Seven, was still on
      the train from Cambridge, Mass., where he teaches at the Kennedy
      School of Government at Harvard. This more or less left the prelunch
      floor to Mr. Goldwater, tanned and big, with an enormous whiskey-jug
      jaw. "I had lunch with ED KOCH the other day," Mr. Goldwater was
      saying. "He told me he was no longer a liberal.

      [the rest at:]
      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/03/nyregion/03BOLD.html

      Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company