Liberation of Valentin & Tribute to Amy: Two Turkeys Find Love Before It's Too Late

  • UPC News
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2014
      United Poultry Concerns - http://www.UPC-online.org/

      Liberation of Valentin the Turkey in Mexico
      "He is able to puff up for the first time in his life and stroll around the
      house and garden."

      Dear UPC

      It's absolutely fabulous that you are offering materials in Spanish! Although I
      only have a tiny house right now in the city, this beautiful boy came my way a
      few months ago and we're all making it work. A local businessman I see often has
      had this poor turkey in a two-foot-square cage for over two years - he was to be
      a Christmas dinner prepared by the man's mother, and when she died suddenly, he
      couldn't let the bird go or bear to eat him.

      The fellow is a dear man, and I've pestered him all this time to let me give his
      poor bird a good home. . . . So this is Valentin and he is able to puff up for
      the first time in his life and stroll around the house and garden. Such a joy to
      see him flower and make sweet turkey sounds! My Mexican neighbors are fascinated
      and stop for coffee just to sit and visit with him. As you well know, this is
      the absolute best way to open discussions about going vegan! Mexico has become a
      huge poultry producer, number 4 now, I think, and it's absolutely heartbreaking
      to see this country emulating the US. Valentin is wonderfully affectionate and
      personable and he is doing a terrific job of getting people to think
      compassionately about poultry.

      Nancy Hild, Mexico and Chicago

      ___________

      UPC's Turkeys Brochures, Chickens Brochures, and Life Can Be Beautiful-Go Vegan!
      are now available in both Spanish and English. To order, please visit our
      Merchandise pages at:
      http://www.upc-online.org/merchandise

      View Valentin's slideshow
      http://www.upc-online.org/turkeys/140529_two_turkeys_find_love_before_its_too_late.html#slideshow

      ___________

      A Tribute to Amy in Ireland

      The Face of "Humane Meat"

      by Sandra Higgins, Eden Farm Animal Sanctuary

      Amy's story of rescue, rehabilitation and her role now as an ambassador for
      animals who are used for what is euphemistically referred to as "humane meat,"
      features this week on Free From Harm:
      http://freefromharm.org/animal-rescue-stories/amy-face-humane-meat/

      You can also read her story here at Eden Farm Animal Sanctuary:
      http://www.edenfarmanimalsanctuary.com/2014/05/26/a-tribute-to-amy-victim-of-the-humane-meat-myth-5/

      Don't wait till Thanksgiving to Stick Up for Turkeys - Start Now!
      http://www.upc-online.org/turkeys

      http://www.UPC-online.org/ http://www.twitter.com/upcnews
      http://www.facebook.com/UnitedPoultryConcerns

      View this article online