Urban Adamah Kills Fifteen Hens: Animal Advocates Offered to Transport the Hens to Sanctuaries

  • upcnews@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2014
      United Poultry Concerns - http://www.UPC-online.org/

      Urban Adamah Kills Fifteen Hens:
      Animal Advocates Offered to Transport the Hens to Sanctuaries

      For Immediate Release
      Contact: Hope Bohanec 707-540-1760
      hope@...

      Berkeley, CA - On May 21, United Poultry Concerns learned that fifteen
      3-year-old hens in the care of Urban Adamah, a Jewish community center and urban
      farm in Berkeley, are now dead.

      The killing of these healthy young hens was confirmed yesterday in an email from
      Andy Altman-Ohr, managing editor of Jweekly, the Jewish News Weekly of Northern
      California. The Jweekly has been covering the effort of UPC and Bay Area
      activists to enable the hens to go to a sanctuary ever since April 28 when we
      learned that the center planned to kill the hens in a kosher slaughter class on
      May 4 because their egg production had declined. See: Bay Area Animal Advocates
      Urge Jewish Urban Farm NOT to Slaughter 15 Chickens.
      http://www.upc-online.org/nr/140501urban_adamah_slaughter.html

      Previously, the community center had posted photos of each hen with her name on
      its website, representing these birds as part of the center's farm family and
      encouraging children to love them under a banner of commitment to "love,
      compassion, and justice."

      But as soon as the hens' utility declined, a new attitude took over despite
      being cloaked in euphemisms about butchering the hens with "compassion,"
      "respect," "reverence," and "gratitude." Learning that a peaceful protest was
      planned for May 4 in the hope of saving the hens, Urban Adamah canceled the
      class, claiming that the protest - but not the killings - would "stress" them.

      Since May 4, UPC and Bay Area activists, along with Faith Action for Animals and
      Jewish Vegetarians of North America, have pleaded with Urban Adamah to release
      the hens to the sanctuaries eager to welcome them - Animal Place, Hen Harbor,
      and Harvest Home.

      In what had seemed tentatively hopeful for the hens, UPC projects manager, Hope
      Bohanec, spoke with Adam Berman, executive director of Urban Adamah, by phone on
      Tuesday, May 20. He assured her the hens were still safe.

      "I thanked him for keeping the chickens safe and continuing to care for them,
      and asked what their plans were," Bohanec said, learning of the betrayal. "He
      said that he and the board had made no decision yet, and that it would be weeks
      before they did," she wrote upon learning that the hens had actually been killed
      in a private kosher slaughtering workshop during the week.

      "I am truly dumbfounded," Bohanec said in an email. "Adam allowed for an
      extensive conversation about the possible transfer of the hens to sanctuaries
      knowing full well at that time that they were dead. I am really heartbroken for
      the chickens. It was absolutely unnecessary. There was a community of
      compassionate people concerned for their wellbeing and willing to care for them.
      The bloodshed did not have to happen." The fact that Adam Berman blatantly lied
      to an advocate reveals that Urban Adamah did not negotiate in good faith and
      instead behaved in a deceitful and fraudulent manner.

      On Tuesday, May 27 at 2pm, United Poultry Concerns, Faith Action for Animals,
      and Bay Area activists will hold a peaceful candlelight vigil demonstration at
      Urban Adamah to express our sorrow and anger over the betrayal of the hens by
      their caregivers, and our disgust at the dishonesty of Adam Berman, who
      pretended to those who cared about the hens that they were alive and safe when
      he knew they were not. Please join us.

      Vigil on Tuesday, May 27 at 2 pm.
      Location: Urban Adamah 1050 Parker St, Berkeley, CA 94710
      ______

      For today’s coverage by Jweekly of the killing of the hens, see:
      http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/71688

      http://www.UPC-online.org/ http://www.twitter.com/upcnews
      http://www.facebook.com/UnitedPoultryConcerns

      View this article online