Urban Adamah Community Center Cancels Slaughter of 15 Hens under Pressure of Opposition

  • upcnews@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2014
      United Poultry Concerns - http://www.UPC-online.org/

      Urban Adamah Community Center Cancels Slaughter
      of 15 Hens under Pressure of Opposition

      These hens were going to be killed on Sunday, May 4 but for now they appear to
      be safe.

      The slaughter of 15 young hens that was scheduled for a class in kosher butchery
      on Sunday May 4 - International Respect for Chickens Day no less! - has been
      cancelled by Urban Adamah in Berkeley, CA, in response to the overwhelming
      outcry of dismay and opposition to this plan that flew over the Internet. For
      background, please see News Release: Bay Area Animal Advocates Urge Jewish Urban
      Farm NOT to Slaughter 15 Chickens:
      http://www.upc-online.org/nr/140501urban_adamah_slaughter.html

      In a statement today, Urban Adamah announced "we are canceling our shechita
      (ritual chicken killing) workshop planned for this Sunday. Our landlord has
      asked us to cancel the event. We do not have explicit permission in our lease
      for this activity. It has also become clear that there is a significant protest
      being organized outside the farm during the workshop. We cannot . . . move ahead
      as planned given the current circumstances."

      United Poultry Concerns thanks everyone who took the time to protest against
      this plan to betray, frighten and kill these beautiful young hens
      "compassionately" because they were not laying enough eggs any more. Bay Area
      activists are going to do everything possible to try to get the hens to the
      sanctuaries that await them, where they will be permanently safe and loved for
      the rest of their lives. Next is to encourage the community center, respectfully
      but urgently, to return to its original gardening of plants for food, without
      involving chickens, rabbits, goats or any other creatures in projects that would
      cause them needless pain, fear, suffering and death.

      For more information and updates, please visit our Facebook page at:
      http://www.Facebook.com/UnitedPoultryConcerns

      http://www.UPC-online.org/ http://www.twitter.com/upcnews
      http://www.facebook.com/UnitedPoultryConcerns

      View this article online