Cruelty for the holidays

  • upcnews@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2013
      United Poultry Concerns - http://www.UPC-online.org/

      Cruelty for the holidays
      By Maite Kropp, The Reporter, Nov. 28, 2013

      Twenty-three years ago, Karen Davis founded United Poultry Concerns, an
      organization incorporated in Maryland. Repulsed by the suffering of poultry
      factory farming, she was inspired to bring awareness to the meat-eating
      population and teach them that they can be healthy without having to slaughter
      chickens and turkeys for consumption.

      Having a doctorate in English, she emphasized her goal through educational
      programs created through her nonprofit organization. In addition to enlightening
      the public about the sordid poultry trade, she also runs a sanctuary for rescued
      poultry.

      Some Reporter readers may remember a story about Vacaville's Animal Place
      rescuing hens that were about to be killed because their egg producing farms had
      deemed them no longer "egg producers."

      Last September, Ms. Davis adopted 50 of those chickens from Animal Place.
      Recently, she conferred in her newsletter that the birds are thriving in
      free-range life.

      According to the National Turkey Federation, the American public contributes to
      the death of 46 million turkeys on Thanksgiving Day.

      It is mind-boggling that numerous families who love their dogs, cats or birds
      disregard the fact that the dead turkey on their table was once as sentient a
      creature as their companion animals. Do people disassociate feelings for the
      turkey because they buy it as a processed, frozen packaged item at the
      supermarket?

      What is really perplexing this year is that Michael Vick, the poster person for
      the Wayne Pacelle's Humane Society of the United States' "animal cruelty"
      campaign, was having his "Team Vick Foundation" hand out frozen turkeys from a
      church last Friday.

      I guess Pacelle's pal Vick ignores the fact of animal cruelty taking place in
      factory farms. Perhaps, Pacelle has not been an effective mentor.

      Vick stated: "Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on our blessings and spend time
      with family. I am thankful to give back to my community."

      Some of my peers believe that Vick missed an opportunity to speak out against
      animals suffering in factory farms; others went on to say that Vick probably
      could not relate to the suffering of factory-farmed birds after he and his
      friends inflicted cruelty and pain on countless innocent dogs.

      This Thanksgiving, Sacramento's KVIE-TV will present at 8 p.m. a PBS nature
      documentary, "My Life as a Turkey," by naturalist Joe Hutto.

      His story will enlighten and educate all about how the life of a wild turkey is
      different from turkeys bred for human ingestion, such as the 46 million
      factory-farmed turkeys slaughtered for this "Thanksgiving Day."

      Full article available on The Reporter:
      http://www.thereporter.com/news/ci_24618566/maite-kropp-cruelty-holidays

      The "My Life as a Turkey" documentary can also be viewed online at:
      http://video.pbs.org/video/2168110328

      http://www.UPC-online.org/ http://www.twitter.com/upcnews
      http://www.facebook.com/UnitedPoultryConcerns

      View this article online