News Release: Activists Will Rally In Brooklyn, NY to Protest Chickens in Kaporos Rituals

  • UPC News
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2013
      Alliance to End Chickens as Kaporos - http://www.EndChickensAsKaporos.com/

      Activists Will Rally In Brooklyn, NY to Protest Chickens in Kaporos Rituals

      Moving Illuminated Billboards, Street Protests, Chicken Rescues!

      The Alliance to End Chickens as Kaporos is hosting three 2-hour protest
      demonstrations in Brooklyn, September 10-12, 2013, to protest the use of
      chickens in Kaporos ceremonies the week before Yom Kippur – the Jewish Day
      of Atonement – in which thousands of chickens are painfully waved by their
      wings or legs and butchered in public ceremonies by many Orthodox Jews in
      New York, Los Angeles, Jerusalem and elsewhere.

      This year's Brooklyn protests will feature ILLUMINATED BILLBOARDS on the
      sides and back of a van projecting the voice of Hasidic Rabbi Yonassan
      Gershom explaining why suspending chickens by their wings is cruel and why
      using chickens for Kaporos violates the Torah mandate to show compassion to
      animals instead of hurting them. Kaporos: A Heartfelt Plea for Mercy.
      http://endchickensaskaporos.com/a_heartfelt_plea.html

      Sept 9 Illuminated Van, Williamsburg & Boro Park 6-10 p.m.

      Sept 10 Protest 6-8 p.m. 792 Eastern Parkway, (corner Kingston Ave.),
      Brooklyn, NY, 11213. Illuminated Van 7-9 p.m.

      Sept 11 Protest 6-8 p.m. 502 Ave. P (corner E. 5th Street), Brooklyn, NY,
      11223. Illuminated Van 7-9 p.m.

      Sept 12 Protest 6-8 p.m. 792 Eastern Parkway (corner Kingston Ave.),
      Brooklyn, NY, 11213. Illuminated Van 7-9 p.m.

      http://endchickensaskaporos.com/kaporos_poster.jpg

      The use of chickens as Kaporos (atonements) is a custom from the middle
      ages. Most observers swing coins while reciting prayers for mercy and peace.
      The use of chickens violates tsa'ar ba'alei chaim, the Torah mandate to show
      compassion to animals. In the words of Orthodox Rabbi Shmuly Yanklowitz,
      Kaporos observers "should be cultivating mercy for all those who suffer and
      not be perpetuating pain on sentient creatures in the name of piety."
      http://www.thejewishweek.com/features/street_torah/yom_kippur_mercy_or_cruelty

      New York State Anti-Cruelty Law, Article 26, states that animals must have
      fresh food, water, and protection from the elements. But chickens used in
      Kaporos rituals are held for days in transport crates without food, water or
      shelter. Brooklyn resident Rina Deych states: "I live in Boro Park. Every
      year, I see chickens ROUTINELY thrown into dumpsters, the dead along with
      birds who are dying of dehydration, injury, exhaustion, and pain."

      In "Chicken Tzedakah" in the Jewish Journal of Los Angeles Oct. 2, 2012,
      reporter Pini Herman said contrary to claims that Kaporos chickens are given
      to the poor, "I estimate that I personally saw at two locations over 50
      large garbage bags of dead chickens, some of whom I could feel or see
      through the plastic." Chickens "went directly to the Department of
      Sanitation garbage truck at all the sites I observed in the Pico-Robertson
      area." Live chickens with cut throats were tossed into "a large 55 gallon
      barrel covered with a lid with a chute to prevent many of the still moving
      chickens from inadvertently getting out."
      http://www.jewishjournal.com/demographic_duo/item/chicken_tzedakah

      This year, anti-Kaporos efforts will be bi-coastal, with street protests in
      Los Angeles, as well as Brooklyn. On September 8, FAITH ACTION FOR ANIMALS
      will hold a Compassionate Kapparot Ceremony followed by a demonstration
      against the killing of chickens as Kapparot during the Jewish season of
      repentance. https://www.facebook.com/events/507592222662379/

      The voice of Orthodox Rabbi Yonassan Gershom will project loudly from our
      illuminated van in Brooklyn: "Please do not torture a bird this way – this
      is not a mitzvah, our Torah does not require this, it will not cancel your
      sins. I beg you, please give money, instead of hurting one of God's living
      creatures."

      More and more Orthodox rabbis agree. In 2010, Rabbi Steven Weil, CEO of the
      Orthodox Union of Rabbis in New York City, told the Alliance that the OU
      opposes using chickens as Kaporos due to the ritual's "insensitivity" to the
      birds and the lack of historical foundation.

      Rabbi Shlomo Aviner, Head of Jerusalem's Yeshivat Ateret Cohanim, stated on
      video in 2010 that due to the animal cruelty, "It is recommended that one
      should conduct the atonement ceremony with money."

      Rabbi David Rosen, International Director of Interreligious Affairs for the
      American Jewish Congress and Former Chief Rabbi of Ireland, wrote: "Those
      who wish to fulfill this custom can do so fully by using money."

      Rabbi Shlomo Segal, Rabbi of Beth Shalom of Kings Bay in Brooklyn, states:
      "The pain caused to the chickens in the process of performing Kapparot is
      absolutely unnecessary. Giving money is a more humane method."

      "There is a perfectly acceptable Kaporos practice that avoids animal
      cruelty, reduces hunger and shows compassion to all," says the Alliance to
      End Chickens as Kaporos. "Money can be given directly to charity. People ask
      mercy from G-d. The chickens need mercy from us. We urge Kaporos observers
      to show mercy and use money instead of chickens."

      --
      The Alliance to End Chickens as Kaporos is a project of United Poultry
      Concerns comprising an association of groups and individuals who seek to

      View this article online:
      http://www.EndChickensAsKaporos.com/130904nr_rally.html