(US) Animal Rights and Plant Based Diets: Short-Lived Fad or Longstanding Tradition?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2013
      [Huffington Post]

      Increasing numbers of Americans are becoming aware of the violence
      that our industrial food system inflicts upon humans, nonhumans, and
      the environment.

      Contemporary bestsellers like Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma,
      Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation and Peter Singer's Animal Liberation
      have all become foundational texts in the growing movements that are
      responding critically to these pressing issues. Pollan and Schlosser
      are frequently noted as visionary leaders of slow food and food
      justice campaigns and Singer has been widely hailed as a "father" of
      animal rights and plant-based diets.

      But did these movements really start with these individuals? I believe
      that it is imperative to the success of our food and ethical movements
      to recognize that influential traditions have preceded us. With this
      knowledge, we can seek historical support in the face of the many
      pundits who wish to relegate important concepts like plant-based diets
      to sentimentalist fads of the post-modern era.

      As our species increasingly remembers its connection with the
      more-than-human world, and we seek to (re)develop ethical responses to
      widespread violence and suffering, Jain traditions can serve as one
      source of this historical support. In particular, I believe that
      Jainism can be looked to for proof of concept.

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jaina/animal-rights-and-plant-b_b_3660146.html