(US/nc) A new vegan community kitchen set to open

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2013
      On a recent weekday, Laura Neff, co-owner of the vegan and vegetarian
      food delivery service Nourish, scrolls through photos on her phone,
      proudly showing off the meals her team has prepared.

      "Most people would show you pictures of their kids," Neff says with a
      laugh. "I'm showing you pictures of my food."

      In the last two years, Charlotte has seen a spate of new eco-conscious
      establishments, including Eco-licious, a cruelty-free and eco-friendly
      retail shop in Plaza Midwood, and the vegan and vegetarian restaurant
      Luna's Living Kitchen on South Boulevard. Now, Garden of Veg*n, the
      area's first vegan kitchen community, opens this month on Sardis Road
      North, with spaces for three local businesses specializing in healthy,
      plant-based, natural food. Chelly's Cakes-n-Pastries (a vegan
      wholesale bakeshop), Viva Raw (a raw foods and juice shop) and Nourish
      have pooled their resources for a larger purpose: to prepare healthy
      foods for hungry people.
      "It was a shock when I came here from the D.C. area," says Wilson,
      whose all-natural gourmet desserts would fool non-vegans. "I thought,
      surely a city like this has vegan options ... but it's impressive how
      quickly options have become available."

      That's because the demand is growing everywhere. According to a 2011
      Harris Interactive study commissioned by the Vegetarian Resource
      Group, the number of vegans in the country has doubled since 2009 to
      2.5 percent of the population.

      http://clclt.com/charlotte/a-new-vegan-community-kitchen-set-to-open/Content?oid=2828309