Rejecting Michael Pollan: UPC Letter Published in July SMITHSONIAN on Behalf of Chickens

  • upcnews@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10 10:14 AM
      United Poultry Concerns - http://www.UPC-online.org/

      Rejecting Michael Pollan: UPC Letter Published in July SMITHSONIAN on Behalf of
      Chickens
      http://www.smithsonianmag.com/magazine/Discussion-July-2013-213866101.html

      From the Editors of Smithsonian Magazine, July 2013
      The food issue’s largest response was provoked by Michael Pollan’s comment in
      [1]“ The American Table ,” his dinner conversation with Ruth Reichl, in which he
      says that chickens are “nasty and stupid.” Joyce Janicki of St. Clair Shores,
      Michigan, differs: “I find them to be full of wonderful personality, attentive,
      curious and intelligent. Please let’s not let this be the final word on
      chickens.”

      UPC PRESIDENT KAREN DAVIS’S PUBLISHED LETTER: Food and Friends
      Chickens bred for the meat industry are not stupid and nasty. These birds have
      been bred to be too heavy to run or fly, as their wild relatives do. This
      doesn’t mean that they are unintelligent or mean, but that people have
      incapacitated the birds’ natural physical abilities and frustrated their
      instincts. Even if chickens manipulated for meat production were stupid, blaming
      them for their defenseless predicament is cruel.

      Karen Davis
      President
      United Poultry Concerns

      Here’s the letter as originally submitted:

      To The Editor:

      Re: “Michael Pollan and Ruth Reichl Hash out the Food Revolution,” June 2013
      Smithsonian.

      Chickens bred for the meat industry are not stupid and nasty, as Michael Pollan
      claims. These birds have been bred to be too heavy to be able to run fast, far,
      or at all, or to be able to fly into trees to escape predators, like their wild
      relatives do. This doesn't mean they are unintelligent or mean but that humans
      have incapacitated their natural physical abilities and frustrated their
      instincts and desires. They suffer from the dysfunctional bodies they are
      imprisoned in.

      Even if chickens manipulated for meat production against their will were stupid,
      blaming them for their defenseless predicament is cruel.

      I have rescued hundreds of these chickens and I assure you the mental problem is
      not in the chickens but in the human beings who have pitilessly harmed them
      genetically, then lied about them and blamed them for the suffering we have
      caused them.

      Karen Davis, PhD, President, United Poultry Concerns

      To learn more about chickens in the chicken industry, and why we MUST speak up
      for them, see Karen Davis’s article in [4]Free from Harm.
      http://freefromharm.org/animal-cruelty-investigation/eliminating-the-suffering-of-chickens-bred-for-meat/