(US/or) Going Vegan: 'Vegan for Her' is an essential guide to plant-based eating for women

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2013
      [OregonLive.com - opinion]

      From time to time, I get calls from readers who have questions about
      vegan nutrition. While I know enough to answer a handful of basic
      questions -- "Where do you get your protein?" is a common query -- I'm
      a cooking guy, not a nutritionist.

      For the tougher questions, I turn to the website of Virginia Messina,
      a registered dietitian who is an authority on the benefits and
      potential pitfalls of plant-based eating.

      One area where there's a lot of confusion for women is how a
      plant-based diet affects the risk of breast cancer, weight loss, aging
      and fertility. That's why Messina has just published "Vegan for Her:
      The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet."
      It's a comprehensive guide that tackles everything from the basics of
      transitioning to and following a plant-based diet, to how it can be
      used to manage complex health problems such as osteoporosis, diabetes
      and heart disease.

      But "Vegan for Her" is more than just a nutrition guide. To complement
      Messina's guidance, there are more than 50 easy recipes from lifestyle
      coach and seriously good cook JL Fields.

      I caught up with Messina and Fields when they were in town recently to
      talk about the new book and the vegan lifestyle.

      http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2013/07/a_womans_guide_to_plant-based.html