(US/wa) Your child wants to go vegetarian, so now what?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7 6:28 AM
      [Seattle Times]

      Lately I seem to be getting the same question over and over: “What do
      I do when my child wants to adopt a vegetarian lifestyle?”

      For most children, it begins with powerful feelings about animals. I
      can relate: I refused to eat meat at age 6 when I discovered the cows
      on a neighboring New Jersey farm were my dinner.

      Those feelings of outrage and empathy are real, so if your child feels
      strongly, it is safe to support her. Just ensure her vegetarian diet
      is nutrient-rich.

      In fact, the American Dietetic Association says that “well-planned
      vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of
      the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood,
      and adolescence and for athletes.”

      How you react to your child’s vegetarian declaration is key. Although
      the thought of making a separate meal for one child feels
      overwhelming, responding to your child with a frustrated “when you
      start cooking for yourself, you can eat anything you want” is probably
      not the best idea, however tempting it might be.

      http://seattletimes.com/html/health/2021322899_healthvegetarianxml.html