(US/ny) Want a healthy brain? Go vegan, doc says

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2013
      If you want to increase your chances of avoiding Alzheimer’s disease,
      you might want to drop the cheeseburger.

      That advice comes from Dr. Neal D. Barnard, a clinical researcher,
      author and frequent talk-show guest known for his advocacy of
      meat-free diets.

      Through the years, Barnard has explored how our lifestyle choices, and
      what we eat or drink, are tied to medical conditions including
      diabetes, heart disease and chronic pain. But his latest book, “Power
      Foods for the Brain” (Grand Central Life & Style, $26.99), marks the
      first time Barnard has looked at diet, neurological health and memory
      – a top topic for the aging baby-boom generation. More than 5 million
      Americans have Alzheimer’s or related dementias.

      “We used to think of diseases like infections that we then could treat
      or cure. But now we realize it’s also what’s on your plate or in that
      pack of cigarettes,” Barnard said.

      http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130628/REFRESH/130629134/1057