20,000 Chickens Will NOT Be a Community Asset

  • upcnews@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2013
      United Poultry Concerns - http://www.UPC-online.org/

      20,000 Chickens Will NOT Be a Community Asset

      On June 10, 2013, the Concord Monitor in New Hampshire editorialized in favor of
      "a plan to construct a high-tech poultry barn capable of housing 20,000
      chickens." Noting that "More and more consumers want locally grown food," the
      editorial argued that this plan for producing organic eggs "humanely" will be
      "a community asset, not the nuisance its critics claim."

      On June 19, 2013, the Monitor published the following response from United
      Poultry Concerns in both print and online editions:

      "Chicken barn not humane," Concord Monitor, June 19
      http://www.concordmonitor.com/opinion/7070653-95/letter-chicken-barn-not-humane

      Regarding the editorial "20,000 chickens will be an asset for Dunbarton"
      (Monitor, June 10), I respectfully disagree. A 600-foot-long building holding
      20,000 birds is a factory farm, and residents are right to oppose it.

      The fact that "little human labor is needed" means that the birds will not get
      proper care, locked inside an automated building as if they themselves were mere
      extensions of the machinery, which they are not.

      The situation is not "humane." It will not "permit chickens to act like
      chickens." A square foot or square foot and a half of living space for each bird
      is standard in these types of operations. Such packing does not permit
      "roaming."

      The cruelest industrial farming conditions and practices have become the
      standard by which "humane" treatment of chickens and other farmed animals is now
      being measured. The rhetoric and the reality are disconnected. Chickens are
      creatures of the earth whose earthrights should be respected - and restored.
      They are whole beings, not just "egg-layers."

      KAREN E. DAVIS, PRESIDENT OF UNITED POULTRY CONCERNS

      _______________________

      Toward Freedom

      UPC's "chickenadvocate" published the following perspective on "The
      Awakening,":
      http://www.towardfreedom.com/home/environment/3269-the-awakening-thats-happening-around-local-sustainable-food-

      Also on [4]ZNET:
      http://www.zcommunications.org/the-awakening-thats-happening-around-local-sustainable-food-by-tory-field

      We thank philosopher John Sanbonmatsu for pointing the way.

      "A food system contributes to community sustainability if it is economically
      viable for small farmers; nourishing of the earth and elements; and socially
      equitable for all involved, including farm and food workers and consumers."

      A food system that is "socially equitable for all involved" is extremely
      desirable. What is troubling in the picture presented in this article is the
      total exclusion of nonhuman animals from the definition of "all involved." In
      the article, the food justice model takes human violence to nonhuman animals for
      granted: "The CSA model is now being used not only for vegetables but also for
      many other goods like grains, meat, dairy, fish, medicinal herbs, pies, and spun
      wool."

      However, chickens, pigs, cows, fishes and other sentient individuals and
      species, however ignored in most food/social justice discourse as if they
      didn't exist, actually have families, feelings, lives and interests of their
      own, if we would stop treating them like our property and our slaves. Animals
      are not "goods" to be lumped together with grains, herbs, pies, and spun wool in
      a progressive worldview.

      Why are social justice and food justice advocates so oblivious and indifferent
      to other animals except in the selfishly utilitarian manner of all other systems
      of exploitation and injustice?

      Earlier this month, I was on a panel on Animal Liberation at the Left Forum at
      Pace University in NYC. I also attended a session that included a presentation
      about a project called "Milk Not Jails" in rural New York. The goal of this
      project is to liberate farmers from their economic dependence on the local
      prison system by promoting a dairy milk program. All the lovely talk about "food
      justice" without a glimmer of consciousness of the irony of a "justice" project
      based on complete injustice to the cows and their calves on whose bodies this
      "justice" program is obscenely based without their consent.

      Animal farming is not a just enterprise. Nor, as a person in India wrote
      recently, does parceling factory farms into smaller units reduce the total
      amount of water and other resources needed to raise and slaughter billions of
      animals in order to satisfy the unsustainable diets of billions of human beings.
      Our social justice and food justice programs will live up to their names only
      when we incorporate a goal of justice for nonhuman animals along with justice
      for humans. We can do both! Thank you for your attention.

      Karen Davis, PhD, President, United Poultry Concerns

      ANIMALS ARE FRIENDS, NOT FOOD. THE FUTURE OF PROTEIN IS PLANTS.

      http://www.UPC-online.org/ http://www.twitter.com/upcnews
      http://www.facebook.com/UnitedPoultryConcerns

      View this article online
      http://upc-online.org/alerts/130627_20,000_chickens_will_not_be_a_community_asset.html