(NZ) When your kid wants to be a vegetarian

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2013
      [Stuff.co.nz]

      Lately I seem to be getting the same question over and over: "What do
      I do when my child wants to adopt a vegetarian lifestyle?" For most,
      it begins with powerful feelings about animals. I can relate: I
      refused to eat meat at the age of six when I discovered the cows on a
      neighbouring farm were my dinner. Those feelings of outrage and
      empathy are real, so if your child feels strongly, it is safe to
      support her; just ensure her vegetarian diet is nutrient-rich.

      In fact, the US Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics says that
      "well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during
      all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy,
      childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes".

      How you react to your child's vegetarian declaration is key. Although
      the thought of making a separate meal for one child feels
      overwhelming, responding to your child with a frustrated "when you
      start cooking for yourself, you can eat anything you want" is probably
      not the best idea, however tempting it might be.

      http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/wellbeing/8804507/When-your-kid-wants-to-be-a-vegetarian