[US] First all-vegetarian public school launched in New York City

  • Alex@FARM
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2013

      Chancellor Walcott Spotlights the First New York City Public School
      to Serve a Vegetarian Menu Five Days a Week

      /*Vegetable wraps, black beans, falafel and vegetarian chili on the menu
      at the first public school in a major American city to serve an
      all-vegetarian menu* /

      Schools Chancellor Dennis M. Walcott today congratulated PS 244, the
      Active Learning Elementary School, in Flushing for being the first New
      York City public school to serve an all-vegetarian menu. It is believed
      to be one of the first public schools in America to do so.

      The menu includes healthy recipes such as roasted chickpeas, braised
      black beans with plantains, tofu vegetable wrap with cucumber salad,
      vegetarian chili served with brown rice, falafel, and roasted tofu with
      Asian sesame sauce. The school, which opened in 2008, began offering a
      vegetarian lunch three times a week and then increased it to four times
      a week. This year it became the first NYC public school to have a
      vegetarian menu for all meals.

      Today's lunch included black beans and cheddar quesadilla served with
      salsa and red roasted potatoes.

      "I am proud of the students and staff for trailblazing this
      extraordinary path," Chancellor Walcott said. "Our school meals program
      has evolved under the Bloomberg Administration to offer dishes that meet
      our nutritional standards. I want to thank the Office of SchoolFood and
      the New York Coalition for Healthy School Food for working
      collaboratively to create vegetarian meals."

      "We created PS 244 based on a principle of a healthy lifestyle and
      academic achievement," Principal Robert Groff, one of the school's
      founders, said. "We discovered early on that our kids were gravitating
      toward our vegetarian offerings, and we kept expanding the program to
      meet the demand. The vegetarian menu fits right in with our mission and
      we are thrilled that our students in Pre-Kindergarten all the way up to
      Grade 3 understand the importance of healthy and nutritious meals."

      "Our breakfast and lunch program offers nutritious and delicious meals
      for all students," Deputy Chancellor Kathleen Grimm said. "For students
      at PS 244, we worked together to create a menu that meets our
      nutritional standards and at the same time offers delicious meals."

      "Since 2004, we have made improvements to breakfast and lunch that offer
      meals low in sodium and calories," said Eric Goldstein, CEO of School
      Support Services. "Our Office of SchoolFood staff worked with the New
      York Coalition for Healthy School Food and PS 244 to come up with
      healthy vegetarian meals."

      The New York Coalition for Healthy School Food has partnered with PS244
      and the Office of SchoolFood since 2009. At the time, the Coalition
      introduced its Cool School Food Program, which includes the development
      and introduction of plant-based entrée recipes. In 2012, the partnership
      created a vegetarian lunch menu that is healthy, low in cholesterol and
      saturated fat, and high in fiber.

      Amie Hamlin, Executive Director of New York Coalition for Healthy School
      Food, said, "Plant-based, nutrient-dense options help students do
      better in school, and reduce global warming.

      We are thrilled that our Cool School Food program, the DOE Office of
      SchoolFood and PS244 are responsible for the first public school I know
      of that offers a vegetarian menu. We are sure that with time and the
      understanding of the powerful impact of whole foods plant-based
      nutrition on disease prevention and learning, that PS244 will be the
      first of many schools to adopt a vegetarian menu."

      Join us for the Animal Rights 2013 National Conference
      Washington DC, June 27-30, 2013 -www.ARConference.org